Integration and population dynamics?

In summary, we are given a problem involving a mosquito population explosion in a lake resort area during a hot wet summer. The number of mosquitoes is increasing at a rate of 2200+10e^(0.8t) per week (t is in weeks). We are asked to find the increase in the mosquito population between the fifth and ninth weeks of summer. Using the anti-derivative form of the FTOC, we can integrate the given function from 5 to 9 to find the increase in population. This gives us a result of 24860 mosquitoes.
ineedhelpnow
can someone explain this problem step by step (not a homework problem, just an example i found and i want to see how its done).

a hot wet summer is causing a mosquito population explosion in a lake resort area. the number of mosquitoes is increasing at an estimated rate of 2200+10e^(0.8t) per week (t is in weeks). by how much does the mosquito population increase between the fifth and ninth weeks of summer.

Physics news on Phys.org
We are given:

\(\displaystyle \d{P}{t}\)

and asked to find:

\(\displaystyle N=P(9)-P(5)\)

Can you see how to use the anti-derivative form of the FTOC here?

no do you mind explaining?

If you are given $dP$ what operation can you use to find $P$? If you want to find $P(a)-P(b)$ what operation would you use from $dP$? Something should come to mind.

this is probably wrong but do i just integrate 2200+10e^0.8t from 5 to 9?

@Jameson this sounds super weird but I get a happy feeling whenever i see your username and your profile picture. its' so cool man, i swear. :D

ineedhelpnow said:
this is probably wrong but do i just integrate 2200+10e^0.8t from 5 to 9?

Let's take a look:

\(\displaystyle P(9)-P(5)=\int_5^9\,dP=\int_5^9\d{P}{t}\,dt\)

Yep, looks good to me. :D

soooo...24860? does that sound right?

Yes, since a population is discrete rather than continuous we would use:

\(\displaystyle N=\left\lfloor \int_5^9 2200+10e^{0.8t}\,dt \right\rceil=24860\)

ok thanks.

1. What is integration in population dynamics?

Integration in population dynamics refers to the process of combining different aspects of a population, such as age structure, birth and death rates, and migration, to understand and predict changes in the population over time.

2. How is integration used in population ecology?

Integration is a fundamental tool in population ecology as it allows researchers to study how different factors affect population growth and dynamics. By integrating different aspects of a population, scientists can gain a more comprehensive understanding of how a population is changing and what factors may be driving these changes.

3. What are the main challenges in integrating different factors in population dynamics?

One of the main challenges in integrating different factors in population dynamics is obtaining accurate and reliable data. This can be difficult, especially for long-lived species or those that are difficult to study in their natural habitat. Additionally, it can be challenging to account for all of the complex interactions between different factors that can influence population dynamics.

4. How does integration contribute to conservation efforts?

Integration plays a crucial role in conservation efforts by helping scientists understand how human activities, such as habitat destruction and climate change, are impacting populations. By integrating different factors, researchers can identify key threats to a population and develop effective conservation strategies to mitigate these threats.

5. What are some common methods used for integrating different factors in population dynamics?

Some common methods used for integrating different factors in population dynamics include mathematical modeling, statistical analysis, and field studies. These methods allow scientists to quantify and analyze the relationships between different factors and their impact on population growth and dynamics.