1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration by Partial Fractions

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (2x^3-2x+1)/(x^2/3x)
    Find the integral.

2. The attempt at a solution

So I've been on this problem for like an hour now and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. So I used long division and got
    2x+ (4x+1)/(x^2-3x)

∫2x + ∫(4x+1)/(x^2-3x)
    = x^2 + ∫(4x+1)/(x^2-3x).
    For that next part, I used partial fractions.
    A/x + B/(x-3) = 4x+1
    Solved for a= -1/3
    Solved for b= 13/3

Put everything together and solving for that integral, I got

x^2- 1/3ln(x) + 13/3ln(x-3)

and it's wrong.
    Where am I going wrong? I'm so confused.
    Thank for any help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Obviously there went something wrong with your partial-fraction calculation. I'd just do the following
    [tex]\frac{2x^3-2x+1}{x^2-3x}=\frac{2x(x^2-3x)+6(x^2-3x)+16x+1}{x^2-3x}=2x+6 + \frac{16x+1}{x^2-3x}.[/tex]
    The first two terms are easily integrated. For the 2nd one you can find the partial fractions with the usual ansatz easily.

4. Mar 4, 2014 #3
    But i was told to use long division first, which was why I started with 2x+ (4x+1)/(x^2-3x).
    And from there, I am confused, as to how I got the answer part wrong.

5. Mar 4, 2014 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

What I did is nothing else then long division (written in a way I can achieve with LaTeX).

6. Mar 4, 2014 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What vanhees71 is trying to tell you is that your long division is wrong. You should have "2x+ 6" as the quotient, not just "2x". And the remainder is "16x+ 1", not "4x+ 1".

I suspect you did not write the "[itex]0x^2[/itex]" in the dividend and then mistook the "[itex]-6x^2[/itex]" in the division for "[itex]-6x[/itex]".

7. Mar 4, 2014 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The above has a typo. I'm pretty sure you meant the integrand to be (2x3 - 2x + 1)/(x2 - 3x)

8. Mar 4, 2014 #7
    Ohh, such a simple mistake with the long division. I was forgetting to write the variables I didn't use with 0. Thank you so much everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted