Integration by Parts: Verify Formula for $\int x^{n} sin x dx$

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
clairez93
Messages
113
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



[tex]\int\frac{t^{2}}{\sqrt{2+3t}}[/tex]

Use integration by parts to verify the formula:
[tex]\int x^{n} sin x dx = -x^{n} cos x + n\int x^{n-1} cos x dx[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



For the first one, I attached the picture of my work on paper, as it would take me forever to type out in latex code, I think. For the second one:

[tex]u = sin x[/tex]
[tex]du = cos x[/tex]
[tex]dV = x^{n}[/tex]
[tex]V = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex]

[tex]\int x^{n} sin x dx = -x^{n} cos x + n\int x^{n-1} cos x dx[/tex] =
[tex]sin x (\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}) - \int \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} cos x dx[/tex]

That doesn't really look like the formula to me. Am I supposed to use an identity of some sorts?
 
Attachments
  • P1080962.jpg
    P1080962.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
clairez93 said:

Homework Statement



[tex]\int\frac{t^{2}}{\sqrt{2+3t}}[/tex]

Use integration by parts to verify the formula:
[tex]\int x^{n} sin x dx = -x^{n} cos x + n\int x^{n-1} cos x dx[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



For the first one, I attached the picture of my work on paper, as it would take me forever to type out in latex code, I think. For the second one:

[tex]u = sin x[/tex]
[tex]du = cos x[/tex]
[tex]dV = x^{n}[/tex]
[tex]V = \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex]

[tex]\int x^{n} sin x dx = -x^{n} cos x + n\int x^{n-1} cos x dx[/tex] =
[tex]sin x (\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}) - \int \frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} cos x dx[/tex]

That doesn't really look like the formula to me. Am I supposed to use an identity of some sorts?

I can't see the work for the first one, so I can't tell if that's right or not.

For the second one, you differentiated [tex]\sin{x}[/tex] to get [tex]\cos{x}[/tex]and integrated [tex]x^n[/tex] to get [tex]\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1}[/tex], is that right? However, since the formula you're supposed to end up with has an [tex]x^{n-1}[/tex], I would differentiate the [tex]x^n[/tex] and integrate the [tex]\sin{x}[/tex] and see what you get.
 
mathie.girl is right. A good thing to remember when doing integration by parts is that you let u be the term such that when you differentiate it, du is "simpler" than u. For example, you let u=sinx so that du=cosx. That really doesn't do any simplifying. That means you'll let dv be the term that doesn't really simplify when taking the derivative.