General solution of integration by parts of int(x^n*e^x)

In summary, the task is to create a general formula for the integral of (x^n * e^x) dx using any preferred method. The attempt at a solution involved using integration by parts, but there is trouble with the uv part. The user discovered a function that sums up u-u'-u''-u'''... until x is to the power of 1, but is unsure of how to manipulate it to get the solution. There is also confusion about the fact that the solution involves alternating positive and negative terms. The next part of the question involves deriving the formula In = xn ex - n*In-1, where In is the integral of xn ex dx. It is suggested to apply integration by parts once to In to
brandy

Homework Statement

i have to create a general formula for integral of (x^n * e^x) dx
using whatever method i deem appropriate. (the only way i could think of is by parts)

Homework Equations

int(x^n * e^x)dx
int(uv')dx=uv-int(vu')dx

The Attempt at a Solution

i used integration by parts. so. I am having trouble with the uv part.
so far I've got
n!*e^x * (U) - int(e^x*n!)
U=? something that sums up u-u'-u''-u'''... until x is to the power of 1.

i figured out the function n-(n-1)-(n-2) etc which is = n-n(n-1)/2
i think if i can manipulate it enough it can give me the solution. but idk how

really, i just need a push in the right direction. or some clues or hints or something. ps make it simple, i take a while to understand other peoples working.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ooooh poooooo!
i just realized this doesn't factor in the fact that you end up minusing a new function with a negative in it and so on so the solution ends up as +term -term + term - term etc

also, something that just further comfused me was this:
i read the next part of the question which says that i need to derive this formula which is the solution to the problem

In = xn ex - n*In-1
where In [tex]\int[/tex]xn ex dx

brandy said:
In = xn ex - n*In-1
where In [tex]\int[/tex]xn ex dx

Just apply integration by parts once to In and that result would easily follow.

What is the general solution of integration by parts of int(x^n*e^x)?

The general solution of integration by parts of int(x^n*e^x) is given by u(x) = x^n and v(x) = e^x. This is known as the LIATE rule, where L stands for logarithmic functions, I for inverse trigonometric functions, A for algebraic functions, T for trigonometric functions, and E for exponential functions.

What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is int(u(x)*v'(x)) = u(x)*v(x) - int(v(x)*u'(x)) dx, where u(x) and v(x) are differentiable functions.

How do you choose u(x) and v(x) in integration by parts?

When choosing u(x) and v(x), you should follow the LIATE rule. Choose u(x) to be the function that comes first in the LIATE rule, and v(x) to be the remaining function.

Can we use integration by parts for all types of integrals?

No, integration by parts can only be used for integrals that can be expressed in the form int(u(x)*v'(x)). Some integrals may require other techniques such as substitution or partial fractions.

What is the purpose of using integration by parts?

The purpose of using integration by parts is to simplify complex integrals by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. It can also be used to solve integrals that cannot be solved by other techniques.