Integration of complex exponentials

In summary, the expression can be simplified by rewriting ##{\bf{p}}^{2}## as ##p^2## and replacing ##-it\sqrt{{\bf{p}}^{2}+m^{2}}## with ##-it\sqrt{{p}^{2}+m^{2}}##. The cosine component and factor of ##i## in the sine component may be related to the cancellation of integrals over the Northern and Southern hemispheres when antipodal points are matched.
spaghetti3451
I am trying to understand how to go from the first line to the next:

##\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3}}\int d^{3}p\ e^{-it\sqrt{{\bf{p}}^{2}+m^{2}}}\ e^{i {\bf{p}}({\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0})} = \frac{1}{2\pi^{2}|{\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0}|} \int_{0}^{\infty} dp\ p\ sin(p|{\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0}|)\ e^{-it\sqrt{{p}^{2}+m^{2}}}##.

As an initial guess, I'm thinking that the vector ##\bf{p}## is decomposed in spherical polar coordinates, evidenced by the facts that ##\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3}}## has been multiplied by ##4\pi## and that the volume element is afterwards ##dp\ p## with limits from ##0## from ##\infty##. Also, I'm thinking that firstly the exponential ##e^{i {\bf{p}}({\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0})}## is broken using Euler's relation into its sine and cosine components.

I wonder what's happened to the cosine component, the factor of ##i## in the sine component, how the polar and azimuthal angles have been separated out from the vector expression ##-it\sqrt{{\bf{p}}^{2}+m^{2}}## and how the factor of ##|{\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0}|## in the denominator outside the integral appears.

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
I am trying to understand how to go from the first line to the next:

##\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3}}\int d^{3}p\ e^{-it\sqrt{{\bf{p}}^{2}+m^{2}}}\ e^{i {\bf{p}}({\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0})} = \frac{1}{2\pi^{2}|{\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0}|} \int_{0}^{\infty} dp\ p\ sin(p|{\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0}|)\ e^{-it\sqrt{{p}^{2}+m^{2}}}##.
I can help with this bit:
how the polar and azimuthal angles have been separated out from the vector expression ##-it\sqrt{{\bf{p}}^{2}+m^{2}}##
The expression ##{\bf{p}}^{2}## is more correctly written ##\|\bf{p}\|^2##, which is equal to ##p^2##. Hence
##-it\sqrt{{\bf{p}}^{2}+m^{2}}## can simply be replaced by ##-it\sqrt{{p}^{2}+m^{2}}##

I wonder what's happened to the cosine component, the factor of ##i## in the sine component,
I think this will be something to do with the following:
Convert the integral into
$$\int_0^\infty \left[\int_{N_p} f(p,\phi,\theta) dA + \int_{S_p} f(p,\phi,\theta) dA\right]\,dp$$
where ##N_p## and ##S_p## are respectively the Northern and Southern hemispheres of the sphere of radius ##p##.
Then think about what cancels out between the two hemispheric integrals when you match antipodal points.

1. What is the definition of a complex exponential?

A complex exponential is a mathematical function of the form f(z) = e^(a+ib), where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. It can be represented as a point on the complex plane with coordinates (a,b).

2. What is the relationship between complex exponentials and trigonometric functions?

Complex exponentials and trigonometric functions are closely related, as they can be expressed in terms of each other using Euler's formula: e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x). This relationship is known as the Euler's identity.

3. How do you integrate a complex exponential?

To integrate a complex exponential, you can use the same techniques as for real-valued exponential functions. This includes using the properties of logarithms and the substitution method. It is also helpful to convert the complex exponential into trigonometric form using Euler's formula.

4. What is the significance of the integration of complex exponentials?

The integration of complex exponentials is important in many areas of science and engineering, including signal processing, quantum mechanics, and electrical engineering. It allows us to solve problems involving complex numbers, which often arise in these fields.

5. Can complex exponentials be integrated over a complex contour?

Yes, complex exponentials can be integrated over a complex contour using techniques such as Cauchy's integral formula and the residue theorem. This allows for the evaluation of complex integrals and is useful in solving problems involving complex functions.