Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of complex exponentials

1. Oct 18, 2015 #1
    I am trying to understand how to go from the first line to the next:

##\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3}}\int d^{3}p\ e^{-it\sqrt{{\bf{p}}^{2}+m^{2}}}\ e^{i {\bf{p}}({\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0})} = \frac{1}{2\pi^{2}|{\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0}|} \int_{0}^{\infty} dp\ p\ sin(p|{\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0}|)\ e^{-it\sqrt{{p}^{2}+m^{2}}}##.

As an initial guess, I'm thinking that the vector ##\bf{p}## is decomposed in spherical polar coordinates, evidenced by the facts that ##\frac{1}{(2\pi)^{3}}## has been multiplied by ##4\pi## and that the volume element is afterwards ##dp\ p## with limits from ##0## from ##\infty##. Also, I'm thinking that firstly the exponential ##e^{i {\bf{p}}({\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0})}## is broken using Euler's relation into its sine and cosine components.

I wonder what's happened to the cosine component, the factor of ##i## in the sine component, how the polar and azimuthal angles have been separated out from the vector expression ##-it\sqrt{{\bf{p}}^{2}+m^{2}}## and how the factor of ##|{\bf{x}}-{\bf{x}}_{0}|## in the denominator outside the integral appears.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2015 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can help with this bit:
    The expression ##{\bf{p}}^{2}## is more correctly written ##\|\bf{p}\|^2##, which is equal to ##p^2##. Hence
    ##-it\sqrt{{\bf{p}}^{2}+m^{2}}## can simply be replaced by ##-it\sqrt{{p}^{2}+m^{2}}##

I think this will be something to do with the following:
    Convert the integral into
    $$\int_0^\infty \left[\int_{N_p} f(p,\phi,\theta) dA + \int_{S_p} f(p,\phi,\theta) dA\right]\,dp$$
    where ##N_p## and ##S_p## are respectively the Northern and Southern hemispheres of the sphere of radius ##p##.
    Then think about what cancels out between the two hemispheric integrals when you match antipodal points.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook