Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing to polar coordinates in an exponential

1. Jul 6, 2015 #1
    Hello :)
    I dont get this integral (Peskin & Schroeder P. 27 )

##\int {{{{d^3}p} \over {{{\left( {2\pi } \right)}^3}}}{1 \over {{E_{\bf{p}}}}}{e^{i{\bf{p}} \cdot {\bf{r}}}}} = {{2\pi } \over {{{\left( {2\pi } \right)}^3}}}\int\limits_0^\infty {dp{{{p^2}} \over {2{E_{\bf{p}}}}}{{{e^{ipr}} - {e^{ - ipr}}} \over {ipr}}} ##.

Actualy I dont get the next stage iethr :(

## = {{ - i} \over {2{{\left( {2\pi } \right)}^2}r}}\int\limits_{ - \infty }^\infty {dp{{p{e^{ipr}}} \over {\sqrt {{p^2} + {m^2}} }}} ##.

Thanx in advence :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2015 #2
    Between the first two, it appears as if they have integrated over the angular coordinates in a spherical coordinate sytem, leaving only the radial integral. There needs to be some justification about spherical symmetry to simply yield a factor of 2 pi by integrating over the angular coordinates.

Between the second and third expressions, they seem to be using E = p^2/2m and simplifying.

4. Jul 6, 2015 #3
    where do the other exponential and the ##ipr## denominator come from?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook