Integration of (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6)

• Thread starter k0hana27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with integrating a given expression, where the speaker initially applies partial fractions but does not get a matching derivative. The suggestion is made to use a substitution before the partial fractions, which would result in a simpler integration. However, it is pointed out that the speaker has not provided their integration method or answer, making it difficult to determine the exact issue.
k0hana27
I was really confuse with this problem because after i simplify the denominator which is (e^x+2)(e^x+3) and use partial fraction i get A=3 and B=-2. Whenever I get the derivative of my answer it doens't match with the given (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6). PLEASE help me :))

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using this way: Let y=ex :smile:

k0hana27 said:
I was really confuse with this problem because after i simplify the denominator which is (e^x+2)(e^x+3) and use partial fraction i get A=3 and B=-2. Whenever I get the derivative of my answer it doens't match with the given (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6). PLEASE help me :))
Your partial fraction decomposition is certainly correct; so your problem lies in the following integration.

I suggest you use, from the outset, the substitution pointed out to you, and take the fractional decomposition afterwards.

You're rushing into partial fractions too quickly. First substitute [tex]u=e^x[/tex] so that [tex]du=e^xdx[/tex]. Partial fractions will then yield the correct integration.

It doesn't matter whether you substitute for [itex]e^x[/itex] before or after the "partial fractions"- you would get the same answer. The real problem is that K0hana27 hasn't shown us how he integrated or what answer he got.

HallsofIvy said:
It doesn't matter whether you substitute for [itex]e^x[/itex] before or after the "partial fractions"- you would get the same answer. The real problem is that K0hana27 hasn't shown us how he integrated or what answer he got.
Sure, it doesn't matter.

Except for the loathsome fact that if you afterwards performs the substitution, you'll most likely to do yet another partial fractions decomposition.
On both the two fractional terms previously gained.

It is easier to make the obvious substitution first.

1. What is the general formula for integrating (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6)?

The general formula for integrating (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6) is:
∫ (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6) = 1/3 * ln|e^(2x) + 5e^(x) + 6| + C

2. How do you simplify the integration (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6)?

To simplify the integration (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6), you can use the substitution method by letting u = e^x. This will result in a simpler integral of u/(u^2 + 5u + 6) which can then be solved using partial fractions or by completing the square.

3. Can the integration (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6) be solved using u-substitution?

Yes, the integration (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6) can be solved using u-substitution. By letting u = e^x, the integral becomes 1/u * du/ (u + 5 + 6/u). This can then be solved using partial fractions or by completing the square.

4. Is there a shortcut method for integrating (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6)?

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut method for integrating (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6). The most efficient way to solve this integral is by using substitution or partial fractions.

5. Can the integration (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6) be solved using integration by parts?

No, the integration (e^x)dx/ (e^(2x) +5e^(x) + 6) cannot be solved using integration by parts. This method is used for integrating products of two functions, but the integrand in this case is a quotient of two functions.