Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration of Ricci Scalar Over Surface

1. Apr 12, 2015 #1
    Does this integration of Ricci scalar over surface apply in general or just for compact surfaces?

∫RdS = χ(g)

where χ(g) is Euler characteristic.
    And could anybody give me some good references to prove the formula?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

On a non-compact surface, the integral might fail to converge. Take hyperbolic space, for example.

4. Apr 13, 2015 #3

wabbit

Gold Member

This might still be true when the integral converges though ?

5. Apr 13, 2015 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure.

Another way to look at this is an order-of-limits issue. Consider a modified integral for computing the Euler number of manifolds-with-boundary. This integral will contain a boundary term (sorry, I don't remember what it looks like). Then you can take any non-compact surface, and just cut a piece out of it, adding a boundary and making the integral finite. Perform the integral first, and then take the limit as the boundary goes to infinity.

I think this will give you an Euler number of 1 for the infinite plane. It is homologous to the disk, and boundaries add 1 to the Euler number.

6. Apr 13, 2015 #5

wabbit

Gold Member

For a non compact surface, I was more thinking of compacification with a point/curve at infinity and hopefully making use of R=0 at infinity... But you're right the boundary term can make this whole business tricky.

7. Apr 13, 2015 #6

lavinia

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In the non-compact case where the integral does converge, the total curvature can be less than 2πχ(S).

The flat plane has zero total curvature 0 but has Euler characteristic 1.

For a compact manifold with boundary one needs to add on the total geodesic curvature of the bounding curve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook