1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration Problem - given a function find a value

1. Mar 27, 2009 #1
    Integration Problem -- given a function... find a value

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If f(3) = 7 and f'(x) = sin (1 + x^2) / (x^3 - 2x), then f(5) = ...

2. Relevant equations

We can use a calculator (TI-84+) to solve this problem. I'm having a brain fart ... we're given initial conditions, and we're given f'(x) a function that cannot be integrated with conventional methods.

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm thinking this has something to do with the manipulation of the integrand (and its respective limits).

Usually, when I do these problems I integrate... find "C" and once "C" is a value, I plug in the value we're trying to find. But this function isn't easily integrable. What rules am I missing? I need hints not answers please, thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi carlodelmundo! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Have you tried the obvious substitution … u = 1 + x2 ? :wink:

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    Re: Integration Problem -- given a function... find a value

Hello Tim!

If we let u = 1 +x2 .. then du = 2x dx.

This does us no good since the bottom term has degree 3. I know the bottom term can be factored but how can that help us?

By the way... the equation is written as f'(x) = [ sin (1+x2) ] / (x3 - 2x). Thought I might clarify.

5. Mar 27, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You don't seem to recognise the difference between a problem and an opportunity :wink:

multiply top and bottom by x, and then the bottom will have degree 4 :smile:

6. Mar 27, 2009 #5
    Re: Integration Problem -- given a function... find a value

That is a very clever trick. Here is my work thus far:

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{xsin (1 + x^2)}{x^4 - 2x^2}[/tex]

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{xsin (1 + x^2)}{x^2(x^2-2)}[/tex]

I let u = 1 + x2

u - 1 = x2

du = 2x dx

The resulting integrand is:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex][tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{sin (u) du}{(u-1)(u-3)}[/tex]

From here I am completely lost. I'm thinking we need to use partial fractions to get rid of the ugly denominator? And sorry for the long response, I tried scanning only to use LaTex

7. Mar 28, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi carlodelmundo! :smile:

just got up :zzz: …
    Yes, partial fractions give you two integrals of the form ∫sinx/x …

the integral of that is the "sine integral function", Si(x) … see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sine_integral

I don't think there's any other way of doing it, except expanding sinx/x in powers of x, integrating each term, and then calculating to the required order of accuracy. :frown:
    General tip: when you're desperate :rolleyes:

go back to the obvious! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook