Integration U substitution then square it I think.

In summary: Let u = 1.Then 2 = A(0) + B(4) .So 2 = 4B .B = 1/2 .Similarily, let u = -3 .Then -6 = A(-4) + B(0) .So -6 = -4A .A = 3/2 .So\displaystyle \ \frac{2u}{u^2+2u-3} = \frac{3/2}{u+3} + \frac{1/2}{u-1} .These are not equal. Please check your work and try again.In summary, the conversation covers the process of solving
Zsmitty3
1. ∫ 1/(2√(x+3)+x)

2. Not sure if I'm beginging this correctly or not but I get stuck.

3. Let u= √x+3 then u2 = x+3 2udu=dx dx=2√[(x+3)

Therefore: ∫1/u2-3 Not sure where to go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok what you did is good but take x from your u^2 you will get x=u^2-3. Then substitute it back into you integral and it should be simple from there.

So plug it into the original integral and get ∫1/(2√(u2-3+3) ?
So the 3's equal 0

Gives you: ∫1(2√u2)

Sqrt and 2 cancel leaving you 1/2u

but then that gives you 2u-1

integrating that gives you u0 which is where I keep getting stuck.

If I sub the other way and put x in for u^2-3 then that gives me 1/x. Integral of that is ln absvalue x. When I plug in numbers to make it a definite integral and check it on my calc. that doesn't work.

Zsmitty3 said:

I didn't read the rest of this, but this is wrong. ##\int \frac{1}{u}du = \ln |u| + c## (c is the constant).

The rule ##\int u^n du = \frac{1}{n+1}u^{n+1} + c## only applies for ##n \neq -1##.

So you can pull out the 1/2 and make it .5∫(1/u)

The integral of that is .5(ln absvalue(u))

Sub u back in and get

.5(ln(√x+3)) abs value of √x+3 of course

that's still not giving me a right answer though when I check it.

Zsmitty3 said:
So plug it into the original integral and get ∫1/(2√(u2-3+3) ?
So the 3's equal 0

Gives you: ∫1(2√u2)

Sqrt and 2 cancel leaving you 1/2u

No, you don't get 2u-1 .

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1}{2\sqrt{x+3}+x}\ [/itex] becomes [itex]\displaystyle \ \frac{1}{2u+u^2-3}\ .[/itex]

-1/u+ln(2u)-u/3 Just plug in √x+3 back in for u.

So that gives you -(1/√x+3)+ln(2√x+3)-(√x+3)/3) ?

Zsmitty3 said:
-1/u+ln(2u)-u/3 Just plug in √x+3 back in for u.
It's not clear how you got that.

The integral [itex]\displaystyle \ \int \frac{dx}{2\sqrt{x+3}+x}\ [/itex] becomes [itex]\displaystyle \ \int \frac{2u\,du}{u^2+2u-3}\ .[/itex]

Now use partial fractions.

You mean partial fraction decomposition or just split them up into separate fractions?

Zsmitty3 said:
You mean partial fraction decomposition or just split them up into separate fractions?
Yes, partial fraction decomposition. How else can you split them up into separate fractions?

Can you make the u2+2u-3 = (u+3)(u-1)

Then A/(u+3) + B/(u-1) ?

Zsmitty3 said:
Can you make the u2+2u-3 = (u+3)(u-1)

Then A/(u+3) + B/(u-1) ?
Try it !

So 2=A(u-1)+B(u+3)

Let u= 1

2=A(0)+B(4)

2=3B so B=(1/2)

Let u=-3 and A=-1/2

When you put those in can you just bring the 1/2's out in front of the fraction or do you have to distribute then through the bottom of the integral?

-1/2∫1/(u+3)+1/2∫1/(u-1)

ends up being 1/2* ln(√x+3)-1/√x+3)+3

Zsmitty3 said:
So 2=A(u-1)+B(u+3)

Let u= 1

2=A(0)+B(4)

2=3B so B=(1/2)

Let u=-3 and A=-1/2

When you put those in can you just bring the 1/2's out in front of the fraction or do you have to distribute then through the bottom of the integral?
Try to be more careful.

That should be:

2u = A(u-1) + B(u+3) .

1. What is U-substitution?

U-substitution is a method used in integration to simplify the integration of more complex functions. It involves substituting a new variable, usually represented by "u", for a part of the original function. This allows for easier integration and can often lead to a simpler solution.

2. How do I know when to use U-substitution?

If you encounter a function within your integral that is in the form of u(x), where u is a simpler function, then you can use U-substitution. Additionally, if you see a function within your integral that is a product of two simpler functions, it is likely that U-substitution will be useful.

3. What is the general process for using U-substitution?

The general process for using U-substitution is as follows:

1. Identify the part of the original function that can be represented by a simpler function, usually denoted by "u".
  2. Calculate the derivative of u with respect to x, du/dx.
  3. Substitute the simpler function u and its derivative du/dx into the integral.
  4. Simplify the integral using algebraic manipulation.
  5. Integrate the simplified integral with respect to u.
  6. Finally, substitute back in the original variable x for u to get the final solution.

4. Can U-substitution be used for all integrals?

No, U-substitution is not always applicable and may not lead to a simpler solution in some cases. It is important to have a good understanding of the properties of integrals and when to use different integration techniques.

5. Are there any tips for using U-substitution effectively?

One helpful tip is to choose the substitution carefully. The best choice for u is often the most complicated part of the original function, as this will lead to a simpler integral. Additionally, it is important to practice and become familiar with various integration techniques in order to know when U-substitution is the most efficient method to use.