1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integration using substitution

1. May 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a wire in the shape of a truncated cone. One side has radius a and the other has radius b. The wire has resistivity ρ and length L. I am supposed to find the resistance of the wire using R = ρL/A

2. Relevant equations

R= ρL/A

3. The attempt at a solution

So far I have set up my integeral. I know the answer, but I am having trouble with the actual integration by substitution.

ρ∫ dx / (π * (a + (b - a)(x / L))^2)

u = a + (b - a)(x / L)

du = ( b - a ) / L

This just gets me into a huge mess. The answer is ρL/ab. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

How does this huge mess look like? It should be quite simple.

du= is missing a dx.

4. May 6, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

How can you have a wire (one-dimensional) "in shape of a truncated cone" (three dimensional).

5. May 6, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A wire is not a line, it has a finite cross-section.

6. May 6, 2013 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Oh, I see. Thanks. So we are just talking about the truncated cone.

Since the sides are lines, the diameter at each point is a linear function of ditance along the axis. Taking x= 0 where the diameter is "b" and x= L where it is a, we have d= (a- b)(x/L)+ b so that the radius is d/2= (a- b)(x/2L)+ b/2 and the cross section area is [itex]A= \pi (a- b)^2(x^2/4L^2)+ \pi(a- b)(x/2L)b+ \pi b^2/4[/itex].

Since [itex]R= \rho L/A[/itex], with a small section of length "dx", [itex]R=\rho dx/A= \rho dx/(\pi (a- b)^2(x^2/4L^2)+ \pi(a- b)(x/2L)b+ \pi b^2/4)[/itex] and the total resistance is the integral of that, with respect to x, from 0 to L.

Drawing a thin "lamina" perpendicular to the

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted