Interaction between a dipole and a dielectric.

In summary, the dipole has a potential energy due to its orientation in the electric field of the dielectric medium, and the dielectric has a potential energy due to its polarization density.
Arthas85
Dear All,

I have a question that is afflicting me and I would be glad if you can give me an answer. I have a dipole in vacuum put at a certain distance from the surface of a dielectric material. I know the entity of the dipole, I know the distance from the surface and I know the interaction energy between the dipole and the material. How can I calculate the dielectric constant of the material? I hope that the problem is clear.

Thanks for the attention

Kind Regards

Franky

P.S. It's not properly an homework but since it was a problem I thought posting it here was the right thing to do. My problem is that I cannot find an equation relating my data in the books I have even if I know it should be possible to do that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I need a little more information. What do you mean by "energy of interaction," and the "entity" of the dipole? Also, what is the geometry of the dielectric medium? I'm assuming it's semi-infinite; filling all space below the z = 0 plane, for example.

The geometry is something like this:
-
+

---------------------------

The dipole is a known molecule HF, the dielectric material is a slab of a semiconductor (periodic in two dimension with a finite depth), the energy of interaction has been computed with DFT calculations.

Okay, that's clearer. I'm not completely sure if this is right, as I don't have my copy of Jackson with me, but here is what I'm thinking:

We need to find the potential energy of the entire system, relative to the situation where the dipole is far away from the surface of the dielectric. There are two contributions: the potential energy contained in the dielectric, and the potential energy of the dipole. To do this, you need to find the electric field everywhere. This can be done using the method of images (for dielectric media), which is explained in Jackson Chapter 4 I think. The method for single charges is (relatively) easy; for a dipole, you just add the fields created by the two charges. I hope Jackson explains it okay because I don't remember the exact method.

Now you have the electric field everywhere, inside the dielectric and outside it. Let's consider the field inside the dielectric first.

The dielectric medium is composed of many infinitesimal dipoles which can rotate but are fixed in place, so we only have to consider potential energy due to their orientation, not their position. The potential energy of a dipole fixed in place is,

U = -p[itex]\bullet[/itex]E

Where p is the dipole vector and E is the electric field. The dielectric has a polarization density induced by the electric field, given by

P = ([itex]\epsilon[/itex] - [itex]\epsilon[/itex]0)E

Combining these two equations gives a potential energy density inside the dielectric as a function of the electric field that you obtained before. Integrate this over the whole volume of the dielectric, and that's your potential energy contribution from the dielectric.

Now you need to find the potential energy of the isolated dipole. For this, you can use the standard equation for the potential energy of a charge in an electric field, U = qV, and add the potential energies of the two charges in the dipole. One important caveat: do not include the mutual interaction between the charges, because presumably the potential energy we are trying to find is relative to that of the intact dipole at infinity, not two infinitely separated charges. So in finding U = qV, only include the electric field from the dielectric medium, NOT the other charge in the dipole.

I hope that is right and makes sense. Please ask if you have any questions.

Dear Franky,

Thank you for your question. The interaction between a dipole and a dielectric material is a complex phenomenon and there are various factors that can affect it. In order to calculate the dielectric constant of the material, you would need to consider the following:

1. The orientation of the dipole: The direction in which the dipole is placed with respect to the surface of the dielectric material can affect the interaction energy. For example, if the dipole is placed perpendicular to the surface, the interaction energy will be different compared to if it is placed parallel to the surface.

2. The dielectric properties of the material: The dielectric constant of a material is a measure of its ability to store electrical energy, and it is influenced by factors such as the material's composition, structure, and temperature.

3. The distance between the dipole and the surface: The closer the dipole is to the surface of the dielectric material, the stronger the interaction will be. This distance will also affect the calculation of the dielectric constant.

To calculate the dielectric constant, you can use the following equation:

𝜀 = 𝑑²𝑢₀ / 𝑞²𝜇₀𝐸²

Where 𝜀 is the dielectric constant, 𝑑 is the distance between the dipole and the surface, 𝑢₀ is the permittivity of free space, 𝑞 is the magnitude of the dipole moment, 𝜇₀ is the permeability of free space, and 𝐸 is the electric field strength.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Sincerely,

1. What is a dipole?

A dipole is a separation of positive and negative charges within a molecule or a system, resulting in a net dipole moment. This can occur when there is an uneven distribution of electrons within the molecule, causing one end to be more positively charged and the other end to be more negatively charged.

2. What is a dielectric?

A dielectric is a material that does not conduct electricity easily and is often used as an insulator. It can be polar or non-polar and is typically placed between two conductive plates in a capacitor to increase the capacitance of the system.

3. How do a dipole and a dielectric interact?

A dipole and a dielectric interact through the process of polarization. When an electric field is applied to a dielectric, the molecules within the dielectric align themselves with the field, resulting in a net dipole moment. This polarized dielectric then creates its own electric field that opposes the externally applied field, resulting in a weaker overall electric field within the dielectric.

4. What is the effect of a dielectric on the electric field of a dipole?

The presence of a dielectric between two charges in a dipole can significantly reduce the strength of the electric field between the charges. This is because the polarized dielectric creates its own electric field that opposes the external field, resulting in a decrease in the overall electric field strength.

5. Can the interaction between a dipole and a dielectric be manipulated?

Yes, the interaction between a dipole and a dielectric can be manipulated by changing the properties of the dielectric material, such as its permittivity or thickness. This can affect the strength of the polarizing electric field and, in turn, the overall strength of the electric field between the charges in the dipole.