Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interested in a career, 5 questions about Nuclear Engineering.

1. Nov 4, 2009 #1
    I am researching nuclear engineering in my physics class in high school. I need someone to answer 5 simple questions about their job, it would help me so much! I also will need a name and location of where you work. Thank you!

1. Describe your daily duties.
    2. How did you pick this career?
    3. What is your favorite part of your job?
    4. What don't you like about your job?
    5. If you could do it over, would you choose this career again?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2009 #2

QuantumPion

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) Performing computer calculations in support of nuclear power operation. Generally, calculating input parameters, setting up computer input decks, and analyzing output.

2) I was interested in physics at first but decided I would rather be in a field with practical applications (i.e. jobs :tongue2: )

3) Problem solving, especially new and unexpected problems which require engineering judgment to figure out. The best part is when you compare your crazy models to measured data and they come out well :biggrin:

4) Paper work, politics, bureaucracy, administrative stuff, procedures, etc. All the stuff that is "not engineering".

5) Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook