Interested in Computer Science, not Engineering

In summary, computer science is a program that is focused on software development and you should have a good understanding of networking if you want to specialize in that area.
Rocket50
Gold Member
I'm quite interested in computer science and that's why I'm taking several courses in it. However, my interest in computer engineering is very little, apart from computer architecture/compilers.

How much will my lack of understanding of computer engineering harm me in learning computer science?

Physics news on Phys.org
Computer science and computer engineering are separate disciplines, at least at my university. Computer science is software focused and computer engineering is mostly hardware focused. Anybody studying one should probably know a little about the other, but it won't hinder you. A good handle on integer math/discrete math and logic is probably more important for learning computer science.

esuna said:
Computer science and computer engineering are separate disciplines, at least at my university. Computer science is software focused and computer engineering is mostly hardware focused. Anybody studying one should probably know a little about the other, but it won't hinder you. A good handle on integer math/discrete math and logic is probably more important for learning computer science.

Yes, it is a separate program here as well. As far as knowing a little bit about the other discipline, I'm definitely going to take a few courses on computer architecture and compiler design.

I also have another question. Is it really necessary for a computer science major to know the basics of things like networks?

Rocket50 said:
Yes, it is a separate program here as well. As far as knowing a little bit about the other discipline, I'm definitely going to take a few courses on computer architecture and compiler design.

I also have another question. Is it really necessary for a computer science major to know the basics of things like networks?
It can never hurt to have that knowledge. If you are going into software devel. it is possible that you will need to know a bit about networking (at least that is what I was told.

I am not an expert as I am only in my second year of undergrad work so my focus has been largely on math, physics, and various programming languages. From what I have gathered, computer science is a pretty versatile field and you can specialize in a number of different areas of computer science. I really enjoy programming and data analysis/modeling so that is what I focus on (also I am dual majoring in astronomy- so those areas fit well together). Sorry I don't have more insight to share, but since you weren't getting a lot of responses I thought I would give you what little I did have. =)

TehCylons said:
It can never hurt to have that knowledge. If you are going into software devel. it is possible that you will need to know a bit about networking (at least that is what I was told.

I am not an expert as I am only in my second year of undergrad work so my focus has been largely on math, physics, and various programming languages. From what I have gathered, computer science is a pretty versatile field and you can specialize in a number of different areas of computer science. I really enjoy programming and data analysis/modeling so that is what I focus on (also I am dual majoring in astronomy- so those areas fit well together). Sorry I don't have more insight to share, but since you weren't getting a lot of responses I thought I would give you what little I did have. =)

I'm not going into software development. Only reason I'm studying it is for personal enjoyment. As for a little networking, I know the basics of it - not 1% enough to get Network+ certification or anything though. Honestly, I find it boring and see little need of it.

Thanks for your reply.

Last edited:

What is the difference between computer science and engineering?

Computer science is the study of algorithms, computation and information processing, while engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and build structures, machines, and systems. Computer science focuses more on the theoretical and mathematical aspects of computing, while engineering focuses more on the practical implementation of solutions.

What skills do I need to pursue a career in computer science?

To pursue a career in computer science, you will need strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as a solid foundation in mathematics and programming languages. Additionally, strong communication skills and the ability to work in a team are essential for success in this field.

What job opportunities are available for computer science majors?

Computer science is a diverse field with many job opportunities in various industries, including software development, data science, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and more. With the increasing demand for technology, computer science majors have a wide range of career options to choose from.

Do I need a degree in computer science to work in the tech industry?

While a degree in computer science can provide a strong foundation for a career in the tech industry, it is not always a requirement. Many successful professionals in the tech industry have backgrounds in other fields such as mathematics, engineering, or design. However, having a degree in computer science can give you a competitive edge and open up more opportunities for advancement.

What is the future outlook for careers in computer science?

The future outlook for careers in computer science is very promising. With the rapid advancement of technology, there is a growing demand for skilled professionals in this field. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in computer and information technology occupations is projected to grow 11 percent from 2019 to 2029, much faster than the average for all occupations. This makes computer science a great field to pursue for job stability and growth.