1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A joint major in Computer Science and Engineering

1. Jun 11, 2013 #1
    Hello, I'm about to be a Sophomore in Fall this year and current major is Software Engineering. My school offers a joint major in Computer Science and Engineering (as well as separate CS and Comp. Engr.). I'm looking into it as I don't want to be pigeon-holed as just a programmer but I'm not sure the joint major is a good idea. What would be the pros and cons of that degree? Will I better off pursuing just computer science or computer engineering? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2
    Computer Engineers mainly work on hardware and circuitry. Computer scientist mainly focus on software development

4. Jun 12, 2013 #3
    I am trying to figure a similar question out myself. I am interested in integrated circuits and will probably end up getting a masters in computer engineering. I guess it depends if you want to work with purely software, purely hardware, or both.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook