Interested in hearing opinions about this

In summary, Dave's girlfriend's sister is working at an agency with a lot of routine tasks, and it's hard to say if she's qualified for her position.
Xyius
Hey all!
Just wanted to hear some thoughts about this.
My girlfriends sister currently works at NASA. I am not exactly sure what she does, something with cooling liquid nitrogen to temperatures at almost absolute zero. The thing is, she doesn't have a science degree. In fact she was picked over Physics majors who applied for the same job after college. (She was a womans studies major.) She however did do lab work in astronomy in college and was a TA for an astronomy class.

My question is, why would NASA pick her over Physics majors? Could it be solely based on her experience in the lab? I feel like a student with a Physics degree must have the same if not more lab work. I feel like the job must not require an extensive knowledge of physics otherwise they would have picked someone with a degree in Physics.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great she works for NASA. But I keep imagining myself in the Physics majors shoes who also applied for that job. (I AM a physics major, not done with school yet though :p )

Physics news on Phys.org
She slept with her boss?

On a more serious note, the only thing that could come to my mind is over-qualification? It happens

when i hire guys to run a crew they want to be paid well. i can hire monkeys to pick up garbage and pay them peanuts.

Yep, DS seems to have it I think.

Why hire someone who expects to be paid highly for the work after a degree when you can get someone to do the same job, for a lower cost? Especially if the job isn't technical.

Many of the people that work at NASA actually work for contractors. She possibly has a technical job.

Xyius said:
Hey all!
Just wanted to hear some thoughts about this.
My girlfriends sister currently works at NASA. I am not exactly sure what she does, something with cooling liquid nitrogen to temperatures at almost absolute zero. The thing is, she doesn't have a science degree. In fact she was picked over Physics majors who applied for the same job after college. (She was a womans studies major.) She however did do lab work in astronomy in college and was a TA for an astronomy class.

My question is, why would NASA pick her over Physics majors? Could it be solely based on her experience in the lab? I feel like a student with a Physics degree must have the same if not more lab work. I feel like the job must not require an extensive knowledge of physics otherwise they would have picked someone with a degree in Physics.

Don't get me wrong, I think its great she works for NASA. But I keep imagining myself in the Physics majors shoes who also applied for that job. (I AM a physics major, not done with school yet though :p )
This is idle speculation. Find out what her role is. Then we'll figure out if some Physics major is better qualified.

It's hard for me to find out exactly what she does, I do not get much chances to talk to her and my girlfriend doesn't really know either. All I know is she works at Colby Labs at the NASA in Washington and she uses liquid helium to study things at very cold temperatures. :\

Xyius said:
It's hard for me to find out exactly what she does, I do not get much chances to talk to her and my girlfriend doesn't really know either. All I know is she works at Colby Labs at the NASA in Washington and she uses liquid helium to study things at very cold temperatures. :\

Dave's right, there's no way to know if she's under or even over qualified for her job. There's a lot of routine, tedious tasks involved in lab work. Her job could be something like:

Take samples from point A, move them to point B.
Repeat until quitting time.

Last edited:
Xyius said:
It's hard for me to find out exactly what she does,

Right, so it is folly to judge or worry. Unless and until things change, she's not taking anyone's job.

1. What is the purpose of seeking opinions in scientific research?

The purpose of seeking opinions in scientific research is to gather a diverse range of perspectives and ideas in order to better understand a topic or problem. This can help to identify potential biases, fill in gaps in knowledge, and provide new insights that may not have been considered before.

2. How can opinions help to improve the validity of scientific research?

Opinions can help to improve the validity of scientific research by providing alternative viewpoints and challenging existing theories or hypotheses. By considering a variety of opinions, researchers can strengthen their arguments and ensure that their findings are not biased or limited by a single perspective.

3. Why is it important to carefully consider and evaluate opinions in scientific research?

It is important to carefully consider and evaluate opinions in scientific research because not all opinions are based on evidence or facts. By critically evaluating opinions, researchers can determine which ones are supported by scientific evidence and which ones may be based on personal beliefs or biases. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of research findings.

4. How do scientists ensure that opinions do not skew the results of their research?

Scientists ensure that opinions do not skew the results of their research by using rigorous methods and procedures that are based on empirical evidence. This includes designing experiments or studies that minimize the influence of opinions, using statistical analyses to account for individual differences, and conducting peer review to evaluate the validity of findings.

5. Can opinions be considered as valid evidence in scientific research?

Opinions can be considered as valid evidence in scientific research if they are based on well-supported arguments and are supported by empirical evidence. However, opinions alone are not enough to draw conclusions or make claims in scientific research. They must be backed up by data and other forms of evidence in order to be considered valid.