Interested in Mythology besides me

• Thread starter Shadow
  • Start date
sorry, i meant 'civilized' as in, we always refer to the norse as barbarians. in many ways they had a much better society then southern europeans. they were warriors because of the environment in which they lived, but beneath it all they had wise and humble beginings...

anyways, i'll quote some of the elder edda, it's very wise and even humourous. just keep in mind that it relates to their time and society...

the fierceness of men rules the fate of women

There lies less good than most believe
In ale for mortal men

A man knows nothing if he knows not
That wealth oft begets an ape

A coward thinks he will live forever
If only he can avoid warfare.

Tell one your thoughts, but beware of two,
All know what is known to three

A silly man lies awake all night
Thinking of many things.
When the morning comes he is worn with care,
And trouble is just as it was.

A paltry man and poor of mind
is he who mocks at all things

Brave men can live well anywhere.
A coward dreads all things.

I once was young and traveled alone.
I met another and thought myself rich.
Man is the joy of man. Be a friend to your friend.
Give him laughter for laughter.

To a good friend's house
The path is straight
Though he is far away.

No man has nothing but misery, let him be never so sick
To this one his sons are a joy, and to that
His kin, to another his wealth.
And yet to another the good he has done.

In a maiden's words let no man place faith,
Nor in what a woman says.
But i know men and women both
Men's mind are unstable toward women.

None so good that he has no faults,
None so wicked that he is worth naught.

Cattle dies and kindred die. We also die,
But i know one thing that never dies,
Judgment on each one dead.

Moderately wise each one should be,
Not overwise, for a wise man's heart
Is seldom glad.

The mind knows only
What lies near the heart.

last two are my favorites, but i posted all of them in my book. but, since i have this book, i can probably answer most general questions about mytholgy in general, it's pretty good. so ask away.

I'd be happy to hear about some Japanese/Chinese mythology.

The Necronomicon Anti-FAQ

I found a intressting page about The Necronomicon with a quick google search. I have no idea if this is written up is a joke or not. But was a intressting read for me.

The Necronomicon Anti-FAQ

It have to nice info like:
Where and when was the Necronomicon written?
and Why did the novelist H.P. Lovecraft claim to have invented the Necronomicon?

It even link the book with the norse =)
Why is the Necronomicon connected with Norse mythology?

I hope this is of intrest for someone.

And I'm new here. Just found the site when I was looking for info on John Titor. You got a plenty of topics here to get the mind going. Good job =D

Hey, thanks Ivan. I forgot all about this.

"The City of Derby is the "Ghost Capital of England", an intriguing thought. This section of the City of Derby web site will bring together all the information available on the city's spookiest places, where ghostly presences are felt and where, sometimes, things actually do go 'bump in the night'."
http://www.derbycity.com/ghosts/ghosts.html

I just had to point this out. I was going through the Myth napster, and found this. Derby's my home town, so I felt I had to shout about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Lonewolf
"The City of Derby is the "Ghost Capital of England", an intriguing thought. This section of the City of Derby web site will bring together all the information available on the city's spookiest places, where ghostly presences are felt and where, sometimes, things actually do go 'bump in the night'."
http://www.derbycity.com/ghosts/ghosts.html

I just had to point this out. I was going through the Myth napster, and found this. Derby's my home town, so I felt I had to shout about it.
Cool! Should we call you spooky Lonewolf?

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Haha, if you like. They've even got the pub I go to!

http://www.derbycity.com/ghosts/ghost-14.html
Well, I think the Myth and Mystic's Napster deserves a hit from everyone at the pub.

Have you told them that they hit the big leagues here at PF.com...and due to a grey alien deep in the backwoods of Oregon?

Ain't the internet great?!!!

Zero

Has anyone mentioned Judeo-Christian mythology? The Bible is chock full of useful fancies...

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Zero
Has anyone mentioned Judeo-Christian mythology? The Bible is chock full of useful fancies...
What? Russ won't play anymore?

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Haha, if you like. They've even got the pub I go to!

http://www.derbycity.com/ghosts/ghost-14.html
Can you tell us anything about the credibility of the stories about this pub; or the area? This is an interesting oppotunity to get some direct feedback about a fringe claim. Does anyone at the pub believe or even know about these claims?

The bar staff seem adament that there is something there. One of them was telling me once about something switching the taps of the beer barrels on, and the barrels being moved about in the cellar, sometimes neatly, and sometimes thrown around. The claim that they always go down to the cellar in pairs is true. I've never seen or heard anything unusual personally, and I'm in there often enough :wink: I'd recommend anyone passing through Derby to go there, it's one of the best pubs in Derby.

It's true when they say Derby is the "Ghost Capital of England". There's so many tour companies offering "Ghost Walks". I can't offer the same recommendation I do for these as I do for 'The Dolphin'.

I haven't been to the pub since, as I've moved back into uni, so I won't be back in Derby until around Christmas. They should pay me for the advertising! I don't think most of the regulars would be interested in PF, to be honest. I'll give it a shot when I go back, 'though.