Interesting Book On The History Of QM And Einstein's Role

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Messages
11,160
Reaction score
4,009
Check it out:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PYMLZWJ/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Its available free if you have Kindle Unlimited.

Many books do not get right that Einstein knew QM very well indeed and greatly admired Dirac, of whom he said:
'Dirac, to whom, in my opinion, we owe the most perfect exposition, logically, of this [quantum] theory'

I rather liked it.

Thanks
Bill
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
While I agree that it's easy to misconstrue Einstein's role in developing QM and his opinions of it, just on reading the Preface of this book I see a lot of things that ring my "personal theory" alarm bells.
 
I think the best histories of QM are "Quantum Generations" by Helge Kragh, Chapter 1 of Weinberg's Lectures on Quantum Mechanics or for full detail the six volume "The Historical Development of Quantum Theory" by Mehra and Rechenberg.

The first two give a good summary of Einstein's contributions.
 
jedishrfu said:
There is also the Hawking book titled Dreams that Stuff is Made Of with seminal papers by the physicists who developed QM.

Had a look. Interesting content and haven't read a book by Hawking for ages. Not part of Kindle unlimited but still very cheap so said what the heck and got it.

Thanks
Bill
 
Formatting is odd in that book with a good few transcription errors.