Interesting Calc of Variations Problems

• Thread starter ehsteve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, The speaker is a long-time reader and new poster looking for interesting Calculus of variations problems to present to 2nd year maths students. They mention considering historical problems such as The Brachistochrone and applications of minimal surface area using bubbles. They also mention considering a question on non-euclidean geometry and the cruise climb problem in aviation. They are seeking more ideas to engage students and mention a book and a model as potential resources.
ehsteve
Hi everybody,

I'm a long-time reader and new poster. At the moment I am looking for some interesting Calculus of variations problems to present to 2nd year maths students.

Naturally, I am already looking at the historical problems, The Brachistochrone, and I also have an applications of minimal surface area using bubbles.

I had also considered crafting a question out of non-euclidean geometry, which looks at shortest distance over a sphere.

I have also considered the cruise climb problem of minimizing fuel while an aircraft climbs to cruising altitude.

I am looking for a couple more ideas problems that will make students really think, and not just sit there bored out of their brains.

I would give more details, but I have to run to work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I once saw geodesics on the cylinder, given by my old lecturer. The book Analytical Mechanics by Louis N. Hand and Janet D. Finch offers some fun and interesting problems.

you should try ramsey's model its an aplication to economics

1. What is the Calc of Variations?

The Calculus of Variations is a branch of mathematics that deals with finding the optimal or most efficient solution to a problem, given a set of constraints. It involves finding the path, function, or curve that minimizes or maximizes a given functional.

2. How is the Calc of Variations used in real-world applications?

The Calc of Variations has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to optimize systems and processes, such as finding the shortest path between two points, designing efficient structures, and minimizing energy consumption.

3. What are some common types of Calc of Variations problems?

Some common types of Calc of Variations problems include the brachistochrone problem, the isoperimetric problem, and the calculus of variations with integral constraints. These problems involve finding the path or function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional, subject to different constraints.

4. What are some techniques used to solve Calc of Variations problems?

The most commonly used techniques to solve Calc of Variations problems include the Euler-Lagrange equation, the calculus of variations with constraints, and the Hamiltonian-Jacobi-Bellman equation. These techniques involve using derivatives and integrals to find the optimal solutions to the given problems.

5. What are the benefits of studying Calc of Variations?

Studying Calc of Variations can improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and mathematical reasoning. It also has practical applications in various fields and can lead to advancements in technology and scientific research. Additionally, it provides a deeper understanding of calculus and its applications.