Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Numerical Calculus of Variations

1. Oct 18, 2016 #1
    I attempt to solve the brachistochrone problem numerically. I am using a direct method which considers the curve ##y(x)## as a Lagrange polynomial evaluated at fixed nodes ##x_i##, and the time functional as a multivariate function of the ##y_i##. The classical statement of the problem requires the curve ##y(x)## to have its endpoints on ##(x_0, 0)## and ##(x_1, y_1)## and the initial velocity of the particle to be ##v_0=0##, so that the time functional would take the form

$$ T[y]=\int_{x_0}^{x_1} \sqrt{\frac{1+\left[\frac{dy}{dx}\right]^2}{2gy}} dx $$.

The derivative ##\frac{dy}{dx}## is approximated from the Lagrange polynomial and the integral is computed using a quadrature rule, then the functional is minimized using an interior point method. But the problem comes when the denominator of the integrand vanishes, which will always happen at the endpoint ##(x_0, 0)##. I tried to avoid this by setting ##v_0##, but the method fails to converge to a continuous curve for arbitrary small ##v_0##.

What would be the proper way to handle this situation?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2016 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Intuitively, your formulation makes velocity a function of displacement, so if there is no initial displacement then there "is no reason" the particle should begin moving. You could reformulate the model so velocity depends on acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted