Interesting Infinite Powers Paradox

In summary: Not "subset", but "element". That is: ##a## is an element of the real numbers, but ##\infty## is not a real number.a^2-a^2 = a^2-a^2a(a-a) = (a+a)(a-a)a(a-a) divided by a-a = (a+a)(a-a) divided by a-aa=2a1=2... but I divided by zero
Ryuu
Recently, an AT&T commercial has been running on TV where a moderator asks some children about the largest number they could think of.

At the end, one kid replies “∞ times ∞”, which of course is simply ∞2.

Natually, one can instantly think of a larger number: ∞. But then, that got me to thinking about ∞.

Now, by non-standard, but logical, mathematical rules of conventions regarding reciprocal and powers notation, it can be argued that:

∞ = 1/0 = 0-1

and

-∞ = -1/0 = -0-1

This naturally leads to the formula:

= 0(0-1)

However, due to those rules governing mixtures of powers, I quickly realized that:

≠ 0(0-1)

Because

0(0-1) = 0 = 0 ! (& no, I’m not intending that to represent a factorial) :tongue:

Therefore, to properly notate the equation, it must go like this:

= 0-(0-1) = 0-∞ ! (& no, I’m not intending that to represent a double-factorial) :tongue2:

Which results in the surprising conclusion:

∞ = -∞ :bugeye:

Furthermore:

1/0 = -1/0

And

1 = -1

(Of course, there is an error in the above—the negative in the exponent of 0 is the act of making the reciprocal of 0, NOT ∞.

It’s essentially the same error that folks often make when proving 1=0. Besides, even if there was no math error in my original calculation, there’s still an error in logic, as the entire exercise is merely a matter of mathematical notation, which is not the same as actual numbers.

But, ironically, it is quite interesting that the graphing of nearly any function that involves the value of ∞, there is a corresponding value to those functions that implies that ∞ does indeed equal -∞.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting.

First, we would like to define what ##\infty## actually is. Contrary to what most laymen believe, there is no unique form of infinity.

You use the relation ##\infty = \frac{1}{0}##. This relation is actually false for most definitions of ##\infty## that you use. Except for the projective real line.

In the projective real line, you add one symbol ##\infty## to ##\mathbb{R}##. And this symbol is both larger than each real number and smaller (in fact, the usual ordering relation breaks down). In this case, we can indeed define division by ##0## by ##\infty##. And interestingly enough, ##\infty = -\infty## holds in the projective real line.

So, what you described, is no more and no less that the projective real line.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_projective_line

And by the way, in the projective real line, it doesn't hold that ##\frac{\infty}{\infty} = 1##. So you can't go from ##\infty = - \infty## to ##1=-1##. So there is no contradiction.

Thanks, Micromass.

I've known about the concept for a long time, but I've never known its formal name.

Although I see that the first 3 lines of the Arithmatic Operations defined conflict with the first 2 lines of those undefined, if one sets a = ∞

Ryuu said:
Thanks, Micromass.

I've known about the concept for a long time, but I've never known its formal name.

Although I see that the first 3 lines of the Arithmatic Operations defined conflict with the first 2 lines of those undefined, if one sets a = ∞

It doesn't conflict, since it says that ##a\in \mathbb{R}##. And ##\infty## is not an element of ##\mathbb{R}##.

Oh, okay. I'm not as up on some of the current heiroglyphics used nowadays.

a is a subset of the Regular Reals, but ∞ is beyond in the Regular. (Sorry, but it also seems I'm not having much fun with the Latex Reference symbols--I have to use IE at my office)

Ryuu said:
Oh, okay. I'm not as up on some of the current heiroglyphics used nowadays.

a is a subset of the Regular Reals, but ∞ is beyond in the Regular. (Sorry, but it also seems I'm not having much fun with the Latex Reference symbols--I have to use IE at my office)

Not "subset", but "element". That is: ##a## is an element of the real numbers, but ##\infty## is not a real number.

a^2-a^2 = a^2-a^2

a(a-a) = (a+a)(a-a)

a(a-a) divided by a-a = (a+a)(a-a) divided by a-a

a=2a

1=2

... but I divided by zero

∞ = -∞ is a very natural result if you extend real numbers, as micromass mentioned. It gets even better with complex numbers.

1. What is the Interesting Infinite Powers Paradox?

The Interesting Infinite Powers Paradox is a mathematical paradox that arises from the concept of infinity. It involves a set of infinite numbers that seem to be contradictory in nature.

2. How does the paradox work?

The paradox starts with the number 0. When we add 1 to 0, we get 1. Then, when we add 1 to 1, we get 2. Continuing this pattern, we can keep adding 1 to the previous number to get the next number in the sequence. However, since infinity is endless, this pattern never stops, and we can always add 1 to the last number in the sequence.

3. Why is this paradox interesting?

This paradox is interesting because it challenges our understanding of infinity and raises questions about the nature of numbers. It also highlights the limitations of our mathematical systems and our ability to comprehend concepts like infinity.

4. Can this paradox be solved?

Unfortunately, there is no definitive solution to this paradox. It is more of a thought experiment that helps us explore the concept of infinity and its implications.

5. What are some real-world applications of this paradox?

This paradox has been used as a teaching tool to help students understand infinity and its properties. It has also been used in philosophical debates about the nature of reality and the limitations of human understanding.