Interesting math problem that I saw on-line

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Charles Link
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
9 replies · 492 views
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
6,039
Reaction score
3,162
TL;DR
You have a 4 sided polygon inscribed in a circle. Chord lengths are 2,3,4,5 in any order. Find the radius of the circle. It is also of interest to work the same thing for chords of length 2,7, 11, and 14.
Problem is contained in the summary above.
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
For a hint on this problem, opposite angles of the 4 sided polygon add to ## \pi ## radians when inscribed in a circle.

Edit: I'm going to add to this, that if some people are stuck on it, that I didn't solve it instantaneously either. I was able to solve it though.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sbrothy and jedishrfu
I was just about to protest that it sounded more like an ellipse, but on my first read I mistakenly had the polygon on the outside!

EDIT: and now I’m not even sure if that makes any sense at all….
 
It does make sense because if you have 4 sticks/chords, you can always find a circle that is too large or too small. There is only one circle that works.

I'm going to add another hint or two: Use the law of cosines twice for two opposite angles. The ## L^2 ## on the side opposite this angle is the same for both. Solve for ## \cos{\theta} ##.
 
@sbrothy Use the law of cosines to find one of the angles, and once you have that, you have 3 points to determine the circle. You put the center at ## (h,k) ## with the one point in the middle as the origin, and you can find ##(h,k) ## and thereby the radius.
 
I know I have enough clues by now. Something tells me the solution relates to Pythagoras. It’s simple geometry in fact. I have a bunch of excuses though. A laptop gone up in flames, literally. And I’ve just eaten. Homemade lasagne with lots of of cheddar. So I might have to pass today. :confused: