1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Studying Interesting programming project in physics -- ideas requested

Tags:
  1. Apr 11, 2017 #1
    I'm looking for some non-big project related to physics or/and abstract math.
    It firstly should be a good programming task(since its my programming credit)
    Bachelor student in theoretical physics. Not bad at C and Python, a bit of C++ and Haskell. Interested in field theory, quantum stuff, diff geometry and topology.
    Open to anything (somehow related to physics/math) if it seems interesting(at least colorful, since I'll have to represent it). A bit tired of numerical (P)DE solving.

The term before I was modeling double pendulum - so I'm looking for something more advanced.
    I have about 1-2 week to actually develop it thats why non-big.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2017 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

One simulation that I found really interesting is to program the 2D Ising model. Once you have it coded up, which is fairly straightforward, it is really interesting to change the temperature and see the different behaviors.

4. Apr 12, 2017 #3
    I guess it is too small for term credit project. If only consider some parallel coding like CUDA inside. It looks interesting for me too, but Im not sure if it advanced enough.

5. Apr 12, 2017 #4

radium

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Maybe something with tensor networks or DMRG.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted