Interesting solutions to classic physics problems

In summary, people have observed instances of creative and non-mainstream solutions being used to solve classical physics problems. These solutions often involve looking at the problem from a different angle or using unconventional math techniques. Some examples include using differential operators to find particular solutions to ODEs and unfolding a room to simplify a problem. These solutions can be found in textbooks or through personal experiences. Additionally, some real-life applications of these solutions have been seen in architecture, such as Gaudí's use of hanging chains to support structures made of concrete.
Totally
From time to time I hear about people coming up with creative/"non-mainstream" solutions to classical physics problems, whether by looking from a very different angle or using some unusual math that's unknown to anyone but that one slightly quirky professor from faculty of mathematics. However I have sadly yet to see one myself.

So, here is my question to professors, teachers, tutors and students of pf, do you have any such stories? Please share!

Edit: I was noted that my wording was ambiguous. By "non-mainstream" I mean a creative yet legitimate way that one is unlikely to find in most textbooks because it is less obvious or too much out-of-the-box. It was not my intention to discuss pseudoscience.

Last edited:
Likes Evo and mfb
Physics news on Phys.org
I really like getting particular solutions to ODEs by "dividing by" differential operators (as in, e.g., Hung Cheng's book on advanced analytic methods). It's equivalent to variation of parameters, but it's easier to work with in many cases. As an example of the method, suppose we want to find a particular solution to

## y'' + y = \sinh(x) ##.

We rewrite this, using the notation ## D = d/dx ##, as

## (D^2+1)y = \sinh(x) ##.

Now we divide by the differential operator (!) to get

## y = \frac{1}{D^2+1}\sinh(x) ##.

Now note that the effect of ## D^2 ## on ## \sinh (x) ## is to produce ## \sinh (x) ## again. So ## \sinh (x) ## is an eigenfunction of ## D^2## with eigenvalue 1. Hence, we replace ## D^2 ## with 1 everywhere we see it, to get

## y = \frac{1}{2}\sinh(x) ##,

which can be seen to satisfy the original equation.

Likes Noctisdark, HomogenousCow and mfb
I love manipulations like this one. Reminds me of the first time I saw Lagrange multipliers - seemingly making stuff more complicated until you realize there is no need to actually calculate the λ, or in this case D2. Going to try to use this one from now on :smile:

While I was teaching Freshman physics, the students were assigned a problem concerning a fly who had to "fly" to the opposite corner of the room with given dimensions. It was a straightforward application of the Pythagorean theorem in three dimensions (or equivalently two applications of the Pythagorean theorem in two dimesions). Part b of the problem asked, if the fly loses its wings and must walk to the opposite corner, say from the corner where the floor, left lateral wall and front lateral wall meet and the corner where the right lateral wall, the back wall and the ceiling meet, what is the shortest distance he can walk.

One of my students was well versed in calculus and solved the problem correctly as a minimization problem. He described how far the fly would walk around the floor to the edge and up the back wall. I asked him why he did not "unfold the room". I showed him a shoebox for that purpose. The shoebox could be unfolded and then it became obvious that the answer was just a straightforward application of the Pythagorean theorem (with appropriate lengths).

I was a grad student at the time and Resnick,(the author of the physics textbook the problem came out of) was also teaching a similar class. When I told him I taught my students to unfold the room, he acted like, are you all still surprised by that old chestnut. Unfolding the room is obvious. It turns out I got the answer from my childhood. My grandfather had a set of 1926 Book of Knowledge encyclopedias with this puzzle (ostensibly for children). Resnick was about 30 years older than I and no doubt he probably saw the answer in his childhood as well (Even Resnick was a small child in 1926).

There's a very old method of constructing architectural structures that was employed a lot by Gaudí. Take a string (or even a network of strings) with various loads attached, and suspend it from some anchor points. An ideal string carries only tension. Let the entire structure hang in equilibrium. Now imagine replacing every segment of string with a rigid material so that the entire structure holds its shape. Turn the entire thing upside-down, and now every segment experiences pure compression with no lateral forces. You now have a tower or arch that can support the desired loads and can be built out of concrete.

http://dataphys.org/list/gaudis-hanging-chain-models/

Likes mfb and Geofleur

1. How can I solve the classic physics problem of projectile motion?

To solve projectile motion problems, you can use equations that describe the motion of an object under constant acceleration, such as the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration. You can also use vector analysis methods to break the initial velocity into its horizontal and vertical components, and then use trigonometry to solve for the final position of the object.

2. What is the best way to approach a kinematics problem?

The best way to approach a kinematics problem is to first identify the known and unknown quantities, and then choose the appropriate equations to solve for the unknowns. It is important to carefully consider the units of measurement and to use the correct equations for the specific type of motion being described.

3. Is it possible to use calculus to solve physics problems?

Yes, calculus can be used to solve physics problems. In fact, many classic physics problems involve applying calculus concepts such as derivatives and integrals to describe the motion and behavior of objects. Calculus can also be used to solve problems involving forces, energy, and other physical quantities.

4. Can symmetry be used to simplify physics problems?

Yes, symmetry can be used to simplify physics problems by reducing the number of unknown variables and simplifying the equations needed to solve the problem. Symmetry can also provide valuable insights into the behavior of physical systems and make it easier to visualize and understand complex concepts.

5. How can I check my answers to physics problems?

To check your answers to physics problems, you can use the principles of conservation of energy, momentum, and other physical quantities to ensure that your solutions are consistent with the laws of physics. You can also use dimensional analysis to check if your answers have the correct units and to make sure that your calculations are accurate.