Interference Jones and the number of bright bands

In summary, the observer sees five bright bands in the glass plates when illuminated with a source of 585nm light. The equation for constructive interference is dsin(theta) = m(lambda)/N, where m is the path length difference and N is the number of reflections.
tlarkin

Homework Statement

Two perfectly flat glass plates are separated at one end by a piece of paper 0.065mm thick. A source of 585nm light illuminates the plates from above
How many bright bands appear to the observer?

Figure: (stars for positioning purposes)
*****eye

****| | | | | incidence light

----------------------glass
*************~~~~~~~~~~~paper
----------------------other piece of glass

Homework Equations

I'm not certain about which equation to use which is my problem
It could be dsin(theta) = m(lambda)/N which is what I've been trying
or it could be dsin(theta) = m(lambda)

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I tried

lamda = 585nm
d= .0065 mm
dsin(theta) = m(lambda)/N
(.0065mm)(sin 90 degrees) =585nm/ N
((.0065mm)(1))/585nm = 1/N
N= .09 which I'm pretty sure is wrong

Can anyone help me out on this one? :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi tlarkin,

In this problem I believe you need to treat the air space as a thin film. With glass on both sides of the air space, what is the condition for constructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when the light paths differ by a multiple of the wavelength and they combine and make a wave with a greater amplitude right? So the m[tex]\lambda[/tex] part of the equation I did was right, right? Bright fringes occur when dsin[tex]\theta[/tex] = m[tex]\lambda[/tex] . But how do I determine the number of bright fringes for that? Would the bright fringes just be m?

No, that's not quite right. The expression [itex]d\sin\theta=m\lambda[/itex] is specifically derived for several different experiments (for example, when d is the distance between two sources it is the constructive condition for a 2 slit experiment).

The more general expression is, as you were saying,

[tex]
\mbox{path length difference} = m\lambda
[/tex]

will give a zero degree phase shift between two rays. If the only thing causing interference effects is the path length difference, then this condition would be a constructive condition.

The other condition:

[tex]
\mbox{path length difference} = \left(m+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda
[/tex]

will give a 180 degree phase shift between the two rays.

But if the light is incident from above and hitting the glass (approximately) perpendicular to the surface, what is the path length difference between the reflected rays? It's related to thickness of the air space, because one ray reflects back up at the top of the air space and the other reflects at the bottom of the air space . What are the final equations?

Once you have the equations, you still have to identify which one is constructive and which one is destructive. That is because you need to take into account the fact that when light reflects off a higher index material, it experience a 180 degree phase shift. So what is the expression that gives constructive interference for the particular case in this problem?

What is "Interference Jones and the number of bright bands"?

"Interference Jones and the number of bright bands" is a concept in physics that describes the pattern of bright and dark bands that are created when light waves interfere with each other.

What causes the bright bands in Interference Jones?

The bright bands in Interference Jones are caused by constructive interference, where two light waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet and their amplitudes add together, creating a brighter spot.

How is the number of bright bands determined in Interference Jones?

The number of bright bands in Interference Jones is determined by the wavelength of the light source and the distance between the two interfering light waves. The equation n = d(sinθ)/λ can be used to calculate the number of bright bands, where n is the number of bands, d is the distance between the light waves, θ is the angle of incidence, and λ is the wavelength of the light source.

What is the significance of Interference Jones in the scientific community?

Interference Jones is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of light and its interactions with other waves. It has practical applications in fields such as optics, astronomy, and engineering.

Can Interference Jones be observed in real-life situations?

Yes, Interference Jones can be observed in many real-life situations, such as in the formation of rainbows, soap bubbles, and diffraction gratings. It is also used in technologies like holograms and interferometers.