Interference on a mirror -- waves confusion

In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve a problem in which there is a mirror above the point source and interference between the source and it's image. The problem is that the equation for the path difference is different for when the mirror is not there.
nso09

Homework Statement

JZ4fz1F.png

##d=0.52 cm,## ##\lambda=431nm##, ##L=119 m##

Homework Equations

##dsin\theta=(m+1/2)\lambda## for constructive/bright fringes since there is a pi shift already

The Attempt at a Solution

a) $$sin\theta\leq1$$
$$(.0052/431e-9)-0.5=m=12064$$ 2 \e{3}
$$ total bright fringes = 2m = 24129$$

However, I am extremely confused on why my solutions sets ##d=.0052(2)## which gives ##m=24129## from the get go.
XjYzaxL.png

Isn't there a mirror underneath? I don't know where this solution is coming from which is messing up my numbers for parts b and c. Is there something I'm missing? The main thing that I don't get is why ##d=.0104m##

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The point source S is distance L from the screen and distance d above the mirror.
The interference is between this source and it's image S' in the mirror ... what is the separation between the source and it's image?

Simon Bridge said:
The point source S is distance L from the screen and distance d above the mirror.
The interference is between this source and it's image S' in the mirror ... what is the separation between the source and it's image?
Oh ok. separation between source and image is .0104m. But why do we have to take into account the image in the mirror? I'm not sure how that's relevant in the problem

nso09 said:
Oh ok. separation between source and image is .0104m. But why do we have to take into account the image in the mirror? I'm not sure how that's relevant in the problem
The image in a mirror is the place where light rays appear to radiate from ... this means the image acts like another source.
So we can replace the physical setup with one that does not have the mirror, but there is a second source identical with the first but with opposite phase... this new setup will produce the exact same interference pattern as the one with the mirror.
Then do the maths for this setup - remember that there are no fringes in the lower half though.

You asked why d=0.0104m i the solution - and that is because the d in ##d\sin\theta =(m+\frac{1}{2})\lambda## is not the same as the d in the diagram.
0.0104m is the separation between S and it's image.

You don't have to do it that way though - you can just work out the equation for the path difference and derive the result.

Simon Bridge said:
The image in a mirror is the place where light rays appear to radiate from ... this means the image acts like another source.
So we can replace the physical setup with one that does not have the mirror, but there is a second source identical with the first but with opposite phase... this new setup will produce the exact same interference pattern as the one with the mirror.
Then do the maths for this setup - remember that there are no fringes in the lower half though.

You asked why d=0.0104m i the solution - and that is because the d in ##d\sin\theta =(m+\frac{1}{2})\lambda## is not the same as the d in the diagram.
0.0104m is the separation between S and it's image.

You don't have to do it that way though - you can just work out the equation for the path difference and derive the result.
I see. So this is just a slightly different type of double slit problem in which the equations are switched between destructive and constructive because there is a pi shift in one of the sources, providing a relative pi phase shift.

nso09 said:
I see. So this is just a slightly different type of double slit problem in which the equations are switched between destructive and constructive because there is a pi shift in one of the sources, providing a relative pi phase shift.
Well done ... it's the equivalent to "method of images" in electrostatics.

The trick to these sorts of things is to be careful about deriving the equations you use.
If you can replace the setup you have with an equivalent that you already have the answers to, then so much the better.
Why do more maths than you have to?

Likes nso09
Simon Bridge said:
Well done ... it's the equivalent to "method of images" in electrostatics.

The trick to these sorts of things is to be careful about deriving the equations you use.
If you can replace the setup you have with an equivalent that you already have the answers to, then so much the better.
Why do more maths than you have to?
That's true. Thank you so much for helping me out.

Related to Interference on a mirror -- waves confusion

1. What is interference on a mirror?

Interference on a mirror refers to the phenomenon where two or more waves, such as light waves, interact with each other and result in changes to the overall amplitude or intensity of the waves. This can lead to confusion and distortion when observing images in a mirror.

2. How does interference on a mirror occur?

Interference on a mirror occurs when two or more waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet at the same point in space. The waves will either reinforce or cancel each other out, resulting in changes to the overall wave pattern.

3. What causes interference on a mirror?

Interference on a mirror is caused by the superposition of waves. This means that when two or more waves overlap, their amplitudes are added together, resulting in a new wave with a different amplitude. This can cause confusion and distortion in the reflection seen in a mirror.

4. Can interference on a mirror be controlled?

Yes, interference on a mirror can be controlled by adjusting the angle of incidence of the waves, changing the wavelength, or using specialized coatings on the mirror's surface. These techniques can minimize or eliminate interference, resulting in a clearer reflection.

5. How does interference on a mirror affect the quality of an image?

Interference on a mirror can result in a distorted or blurry image due to the changes in the overall amplitude of the waves. This can make it difficult to accurately perceive the objects being reflected in the mirror. In extreme cases, interference can completely obscure the image in the mirror.