Diffraction & Interference - interference fringes per cm

In summary, a thin piece of metal foil of thickness 0.0700 mm separates one end of two pieces of optically flat glass. The top sheet of glass is 12.0 cm long and light of wavelength 529 nm is normally incident on the glass. Using the equation 2t = (m+1/2)λ, it can be determined that there will be 264 dark fringes and 264 bright fringes, for a total of 528 fringes, observed per 12 cm in the reflected light. This corresponds to 22 dark fringes and 22 bright fringes per cm.
Isaac Pepper

Homework Statement

A thin piece of metal foil of thickness 0.0700 mm separates one end of two pieces of optically flat glass. The top sheet of glass is 12.0 cm long. Light of wavelength 529 nm is normally incident on the glass. How many interference fringes are observed per cm in the reflected light?

Homework Equations

##\lambda = \frac{\lambda_0}{n}##
##2t = m\lambda## constructive or destructive depending on phase shift (where t is the thickness 0.0700mm)
##2t = (m+\frac{1}{2})\lambda##
maybe some other equations..I'm not sure!

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to come about solving this problem, and any help would be greatly appreciated.
I don't know if I've understood the question correctly, but I'm thinking there's just a piece of metal separating two pieces of glass, and light coming in normal to the surface of the glass?

Since the refractive index of the glass is less than that of the metal foil there will be no phase shift, and then there will be a phase shift between the foil and the next piece of glass.

Am I on the right track or am I looking at it completely the wrong way?
Thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
Isaac Pepper said:
I don't know if I've understood the question correctly, but I'm thinking there's just a piece of metal separating two pieces of glass, and light coming in normal to the surface of the glass?

There's a wedge formed by the two pieces of glass, they touch on one end, but are separated by the thickness of the foil on the other. Could have been a figure accompanying the text to make this clear. Light beams incident on the surface will travel different path lengths after having been reflected off the lower piece of glass.

That makes much more sense!
Therefore I need to use the formula $$2t = (m+\frac{1}{2})\lambda$$
Is that correct?
So since the distance between the top and the bottom pieces of glass won't be constant (forms a wedge), call the distance between them h, which varies.
At h=0 (where the two pieces of glace touch), there'll be a dark fringe due to phase shift,
So at m(max) I'll have the number of dark interference fringes?

Hence ##2t = (mmax+\frac{1}{2})\lambda##
$$mmax = \frac{2t}{\lambda}-\frac{1}{2} = \frac{2*0.07*10^-3}{529*10^-9}-\frac{1}{2} = 264.1$$

So say 264, do I then multiply that by 2 to get the number of light and dark fringes because it asks for the total fringes, and divide by 12, to get the number of fringes per cm?
$$264*\frac{2}{12} = 44$$

Am I correct in thinking this?

EDIT :: I'm pretty sure this is completely wrong and am currently working through a different solution

Last edited:
Perhaps a different way of looking at it :

Let's first work out the angle that the two pieces of glass form
$$sin\theta = \frac{0.07}{120}$$
Therefore $$\theta = 0.033$$
##cos\theta *12 = 11.999... = 12 = L## (length of the bottom piece)

##2t = m\lambda##
##\frac{h}{x} = \frac{t}{L}##
Combining the equations:
##\frac{2xt}{L} = m\lambda##

Therefore $$x=m\frac{L\lambda}{2t} = m*\frac{0.12*529*10^-9}{2*0.07*10^-3} = m*0.453mm$$

And so over 12cm there are ##453*10^-4*12*10^-2 = 264.65## fringes.
Which corresponds to my previous answer...(although I made a small mistake above)
This means 264/12 = 22 dark fringes per cm and 22 bright fringes so 44 fringes in total?

1. What is diffraction and interference?

Diffraction and interference are phenomena that occur when waves, such as light or sound, encounter an obstacle or pass through a narrow opening. Diffraction is the bending of waves around obstacles, while interference is the interaction of waves that results in either reinforcement or cancellation of the wave amplitudes.

2. What are interference fringes?

Interference fringes are the light and dark bands that appear when two or more waves overlap and interfere with each other. They can be observed in various situations, such as when light passes through a diffraction grating or when two coherent light sources are used.

3. How are interference fringes per cm calculated?

The number of interference fringes per cm can be calculated using the formula n = dsinθ/λ, where n is the number of fringes, d is the distance between the sources, θ is the angle between the sources, and λ is the wavelength of the waves.

4. What is the significance of interference fringes in science?

Interference fringes are important in science because they provide evidence for the wave nature of light and other types of waves. They also allow scientists to study the properties of waves, such as wavelength and frequency, and can be used in various optical instruments, such as spectrometers and microscopes.

5. How can we control interference fringes in experiments?

Interference fringes can be controlled by adjusting the distance between the sources, the angle between the sources, and the wavelength of the waves. They can also be manipulated by changing the properties of the medium through which the waves are traveling, such as by using different materials or changing the temperature and pressure.