Interference of fibre optic signals with mobile phones' microwaves?

In summary: If you go into a metal building, your cell phone may lose its signal. If you go into a big concrete building, your signal may go down to one bar. This is all common sense, but many people do not realize this. Some people are very surprised when they go into a metal building and their phone stops working. In summary, the SMS message about using the inability to make a call in a room as a way to determine the presence of a hidden camera is not logical and seems silly. However, it is true that electronic devices can interfere with cell phone signals and cause disruptions, especially in enclosed metal spaces.
dennisrobert
I got an SMS educating people how to find out the presence of a hidden cam in a trial room of a textile showroom or bathroom. It goes like this :- "If you can't make a call in the room,the there is a hidden cam. This is due to the interference of the fibre optic with the signal transfer." Strangely enough, this is a popular SMS . But I can't quite find a logic in this and the whole thing seems stupid to me. Anyone care to contribute their thoughts on this?

Science news on Phys.org
As it stands, the message does,indeed, seem stupid.

I can't be sure enough to counter comment on this subject as it is not a subject of my concern (fibre optics) but i knw one thing that mobile phones do get disturbed due to a closely located electronic device capable of transmitting signals! say for example, when your phone is kept near to your pc or a lapy, you get disturbances, there might be an exact reason behind this in our engineering terms, but I would like to share one more thing, that to my surprise, before posting this, I have personaly experienced this problem while in a Mall when I was in D lift, well equipped with a close circuit camera! that might be due to the congested environment of the lift as well but, the point is, a phone requires atleast 10 sec to loose network, but it happened within 2-3 seconds that my call was automatically disconnected, so its worth trying dude!

Last edited by a moderator:
Blackdemon99, please don't use text-speak on PF.

whts text-speak ben?

blackdemon99 said:
whts text-speak ben?

Using "u" instead of "you", etc. I will fix up your post. Please avoid cell phone txt message abbreviations here on the PF. They are against the rules (please see the Rules link at the top of the page).

dennisrobert said:
I got an SMS educating people how to find out the presence of a hidden cam in a trial room of a textile showroom or bathroom. It goes like this :- "If you can't make a call in the room,the there is a hidden cam. This is due to the interference of the fibre optic with the signal transfer." Strangely enough, this is a popular SMS . But I can't quite find a logic in this and the whole thing seems stupid to me. Anyone care to contribute their thoughts on this?

The message is BS.

blackdemon99 said:
I can't be sure enough to counter comment on this subject as it is not a subject of my concern (fibre optics) but i knw one thing that mobile phones do get disturbed due to a closely located electronic device capable of transmitting signals! say for example, when your phone is kept near to your pc or a lapy, you get disturbances, there might be an exact reason behind this in our engineering terms, but I would like to share one more thing, that to my surprise, before posting this, I have personaly experienced this problem while in a Mall when I was in D lift, well equipped with a close circuit camera! that might be due to the congested environment of the lift as well but, the point is, a phone requires atleast 10 sec to loose network, but it happened within 2-3 seconds that my call was automatically disconnected, so its worth trying dude!

If you step into a metal box (like an elevator), you can lose your signal immediately because of the shielding effect of the metal box.

1. What is "interference" in the context of fibre optic signals and mobile phones' microwaves?

Interference refers to the phenomenon where the transmission of a signal is disrupted or distorted due to the presence of external signals. In the case of fibre optic signals and mobile phones' microwaves, interference occurs when the microwaves emitted by the mobile phones disrupt the transmission of the fibre optic signals.

2. How does interference of fibre optic signals with mobile phones' microwaves affect the performance of fibre optic communication?

The interference of fibre optic signals with mobile phones' microwaves can significantly degrade the performance of fibre optic communication. It can cause signal loss, data corruption, and decrease the signal-to-noise ratio, leading to slower and unreliable data transmission.

3. Are there any ways to prevent or reduce the interference of fibre optic signals with mobile phones' microwaves?

Yes, there are several ways to prevent or reduce interference. One way is to use shielded fibre optic cables that are designed to block external signals. Another method is to use filters that can block specific frequencies of microwaves. Additionally, proper installation and placement of fibre optic cables and mobile phone towers can also help reduce interference.

4. Can the interference of fibre optic signals with mobile phones' microwaves be harmful?

In most cases, the interference of fibre optic signals with mobile phones' microwaves is not harmful. However, if the interference is severe and causes significant signal loss, it can affect critical communication systems, such as those used in healthcare and aviation, and potentially lead to serious consequences.

5. Is there ongoing research to address the interference of fibre optic signals with mobile phones' microwaves?

Yes, there is ongoing research to address this issue. Researchers are exploring ways to improve the design of fibre optic cables and develop new technologies that can minimize the interference of microwaves with fibre optic signals. Additionally, there are efforts to develop guidelines and regulations for the proper placement of mobile phone towers to reduce interference.