Interference of fibre optic signals with mobile phones' microwaves?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
dennisrobert
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I got an SMS educating people how to find out the presence of a hidden cam in a trial room of a textile showroom or bathroom. It goes like this :- "If you can't make a call in the room,the there is a hidden cam. This is due to the interference of the fibre optic with the signal transfer." Strangely enough, this is a popular SMS . But I can't quite find a logic in this and the whole thing seems stupid to me. Anyone care to contribute their thoughts on this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't be sure enough to counter comment on this subject as it is not a subject of my concern (fibre optics) but i knw one thing that mobile phones do get disturbed due to a closely located electronic device capable of transmitting signals! say for example, when your phone is kept near to your pc or a lapy, you get disturbances, there might be an exact reason behind this in our engineering terms, but I would like to share one more thing, that to my surprise, before posting this, I have personaly experienced this problem while in a Mall when I was in D lift, well equipped with a close circuit camera! that might be due to the congested environment of the lift as well but, the point is, a phone requires atleast 10 sec to loose network, but it happened within 2-3 seconds that my call was automatically disconnected, so its worth trying dude!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
blackdemon99 said:
whts text-speak ben?

Using "u" instead of "you", etc. I will fix up your post. Please avoid cell phone txt message abbreviations here on the PF. They are against the rules (please see the Rules link at the top of the page).
 
dennisrobert said:
I got an SMS educating people how to find out the presence of a hidden cam in a trial room of a textile showroom or bathroom. It goes like this :- "If you can't make a call in the room,the there is a hidden cam. This is due to the interference of the fibre optic with the signal transfer." Strangely enough, this is a popular SMS . But I can't quite find a logic in this and the whole thing seems stupid to me. Anyone care to contribute their thoughts on this?

The message is BS.

blackdemon99 said:
I can't be sure enough to counter comment on this subject as it is not a subject of my concern (fibre optics) but i knw one thing that mobile phones do get disturbed due to a closely located electronic device capable of transmitting signals! say for example, when your phone is kept near to your pc or a lapy, you get disturbances, there might be an exact reason behind this in our engineering terms, but I would like to share one more thing, that to my surprise, before posting this, I have personaly experienced this problem while in a Mall when I was in D lift, well equipped with a close circuit camera! that might be due to the congested environment of the lift as well but, the point is, a phone requires atleast 10 sec to loose network, but it happened within 2-3 seconds that my call was automatically disconnected, so its worth trying dude!

If you step into a metal box (like an elevator), you can lose your signal immediately because of the shielding effect of the metal box.