Intergrating Factor - dy/dt = -2ty + 4e^-t^2

• Thread starter killersanta
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a differential equation using the method of finding the integrating factor. The general solution is y(t) = (4t + C)/e^{t^2}, with the e^{t^2} in the denominator.
killersanta

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equations [Find the general solution y(t)=KYh(t) + Yp (t)]. Use the method of finding the integrating factor.

dy/dt = -2ty + 4e^-t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

S = intergrat

dy/dt = -2ty + 4e^-t^2
dy/dt + 2ty = 4e^-t^2

P(t) = 2t
b(t) = 4e^-t^2

U(t) = e^(S 2t dt)
U(t) = e ^t^2

Y(t) = 1 / e^t^2 * S e^t^2 * 4e^-t^2

I guess I just don't know how to intergrat e^t^2 * 4e^-t^2

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] e^{t^2} e^{-t^2} = 1 [/tex]

, as one function is the inverse of the other.

Would the 4 go down to? Like this:

[tex]
e^{t^2} / 4e^{t^2}
[/tex]

Wouldn't that leave you with 1/4?

No, with a 4. The 4 is in the numerator, if you write [itex] 4e^{-t^2} [/itex] as a fraction.

[tex] int_/ 4*e^{t^2} / e^{t^2} dt[/tex]

Then, the [tex] e^{t^2} [/tex] cancel out and you are left with [tex] int_/ 4 dt[/tex] which is just 4t. Is this right?

You should be more certain of yourself. You dropped the integration constant.

oh, yeah... I meant 4t + c...So the whole answer is [tex]y(t) = {4t + C}/e^{t^2}[/tex] (The [tex]e^{t^2}[/tex] is under both)...Yeah, I second guess myself way too much. Most the time, after I ask for help, I realize how easy a problem was and can't believe I ask for help.

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function used to solve differential equations that are not in the form of "dy/dt = f(t,y)". It multiplies both sides of the equation to make it easier to integrate.

2. Why is the integrating factor needed?

The integrating factor is needed because it helps to separate the variables in the differential equation, making it easier to solve. It also helps to eliminate any extra terms on the right side of the equation.

3. How do you find the integrating factor?

The integrating factor can be found by dividing both sides of the equation by the coefficient of the y-term and then finding the exponential of the resulting equation.

4. Can the integrating factor be used for any differential equation?

No, the integrating factor can only be used for differential equations that are in the form of "dy/dt = f(t,y)". It cannot be used for differential equations that involve higher order derivatives.

5. How do you use the integrating factor to solve the given differential equation?

To solve the given differential equation, you would first find the integrating factor by dividing both sides by the coefficient of the y-term and then finding the exponential of the resulting equation. Then, you would multiply both sides by the integrating factor and integrate both sides to find the general solution. Finally, you can use initial conditions to find the particular solution.