Interior and boundary of set of orthogonal vectors

In summary: Now suppose n= 4 and a= <0, 1, 2>. The set of all vectors orthogonal to a is {<x, y, z, 0>} for any x, y, z- the extended real plane. What are the boundary, interior, and closure of the extended real plane? The boundary, interior, and closure for n= 4: y- axis is the boundary, the point (0,0), and the interior is the points in the closure.
trap101
Let "a" be a non zero vector in R^n and define S = { x in R^n s.t. "a" · "x" = 0}. Determine S^int , bkundary of S, and closure of S. Prove your answer is correct

Attempt:

Ok I am more sk having trouble proving that the respective points belong to its condition. Such as thr interior. I know will be all points in thr plane of X, but how can i show that all thise points are the interior if S? All i can think of is letting a point, call it "y", be in thr B(r,a) and showing that it is a interior point through the triangle inequality manipulation. But that doesn't use the fact of orthogonality in the set.

Physics news on Phys.org
If a is a single vector in Rn, then the set of all vectors that are orthogonal to a is an n-1 dimensional "plane". You shouldn't have to use any "neighborhoods" or other technical details.

When in doubt, look at simple variations of the problem. Suppose n= 2 and a= <1, 0>. The the set of all vectors orthogonal to a is {<0, y>} for any y- the entire y- axis. What are the boundary, interior, and closure of the y- axis? Suppose n= 3 and a= <0, 0, 1>. The set of all vectors orthogonal to a is {<x, y, 0>} for any x and y- the xy-plane. What are the boundary, interior, and closure of the xy-plane?

ok, well using the examples you gave. The boundary, interior, and closure for n= 2: y- axis is the boundary, empty interior, and y-axis is the points in the closure.

Now I tried extending it to n-1 imagining a plane and I got a similar result I believe:

Boundary would be all points in the n-1 plane, interior would be empty, and the closure would be all the boundary points

1. What is the definition of the interior of a set of orthogonal vectors?

The interior of a set of orthogonal vectors is the set of all points that lie between the boundary points of the set. In other words, it is the set of points that can be reached by continuously moving along a straight line within the set.

2. How can the interior of a set of orthogonal vectors be determined?

The interior of a set of orthogonal vectors can be determined by finding the span of the set. If the span contains the zero vector, then the interior is empty. If the span does not contain the zero vector, then the interior is the set itself.

3. What is the difference between the interior and the boundary of a set of orthogonal vectors?

The interior of a set of orthogonal vectors consists of all the points within the set, while the boundary consists of all the points that lie on the edge or boundary of the set.

4. Can a set of orthogonal vectors have an empty interior?

Yes, a set of orthogonal vectors can have an empty interior. This occurs when the span of the set contains the zero vector, meaning there are no points that can be reached by continuously moving along a straight line within the set.

5. How are orthogonal vectors useful in mathematics and science?

Orthogonal vectors have many practical applications in mathematics and science. They are commonly used in linear algebra, machine learning, and signal processing. In physics, they are used to represent forces and motion, and in engineering, they are used in the design of structures and circuits. They also have applications in computer graphics and computer vision.