1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: open sphere is an open set

1. Apr 1, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that an open sphere in [itex]\mathbb{R}^m[/itex] is an open set.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

To show that an open sphere is an open set, any point inside the sphere has to be an interior point:
    Let us have a sphere [itex]B(P_0, r), r > 0[/itex], where [itex]P_0[/itex] is the centerpoint and r is the radius of the sphere and also an arbitrary point [itex]P[/itex] inside the sphere. Hence [itex]\exists\varepsilon>0\colon B(P,\varepsilon)\subset B(P_0, r) [/itex] and as we assumed the [itex]B(P_0, r)[/itex] to be open, then it does not contain its boundary.

The idea is to use the triangle inequality by taking another random point in a sphere around the already random point P in the large sphere: [itex]S\in B(P, \varepsilon)[/itex]. The distance between two points [itex]d(A,B)[/itex] (Pythagorean)
    [itex]d(S, P_0)\leq d(S,P) + d(P,P_0) <\varepsilon + d(P,P_0)[/itex]. This is a shaky part - how can I justify this inequality is always correct? I can visualize it in my head, but is it accurate?

Per that assumption I would fix [itex]\varepsilon\colon = r - d(P,P_0) > 0[/itex] since [itex]P[/itex] is an interior point and its distance cannot be greater than or equal to the radius of the large sphere, therefore [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] is always strictly positive and [itex]\forall S\in B(P, \varepsilon_1)[/itex] I can state that the distance [itex]d(S,P_0) < \varepsilon + d(P,P_0) = r[/itex] which would mean that the open sphere is an open set as all its points are interior points.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2015 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The argument is essentially correct, but things are a bit mixed up and it doesn't flow. I suggest trying to tidy it up. I would start with something like this:

Let ##B(P_0, r)## be an open sphere in ##\mathbb{R}^m##

Let ##P \in B(P_0, r)##

##d(P_0, P) < r## hence ##\exists \epsilon > 0## ...

4. Apr 1, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A silly comment, but I don't like the term "open sphere". The terminology "open ball" is standard, because a sphere is usually the name given to the boundary of the ball, not something in the interior.

5. Apr 1, 2015 #4
    I knew there was something off in the translation. I'll use ball to describe the set and sphere to describe its boundary, then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted