Intermediate dynamics problems

  • Thread starter Thread starter jazzyfizzle
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dynamics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 3K views
jazzyfizzle
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
1. A
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jazzyfizzle said:
But that's the thing.. I don't know the force. How are you supposed to even do this when there's no numbers involved ?
Since you don't have numbers, you'll express your answer in terms of the given data--F0, t0, and m.

I just tried it and got :

x=2[(1/2)(F0/m)t^2]
You're on the right track. Hint: Treat each segment of the motion separately. In the first segment (from t = 0 to t0), the initial speed is zero--but that's not the case for the second half of the motion.

Hint2: Consider the average speed during each segment.
 
jazzyfizzle said:
Should I maybe use vf^2=vi^2+2ax to find the final velocity of the first segment?
then go from there ?
There's a much easier way to find the final velocity of the first segment. What's the definition of acceleration?
 
For a final answer I got

x=((2F0*t0^2)/m)) + (4F0t0)/m

But... I don't think that's right at all...
 
jazzyfizzle said:
For a final answer I got

x=((2F0*t0^2)/m)) + (4F0t0)/m

But... I don't think that's right at all...
No, it's not.

Do it step by step, one segment at a time.
 
Ok what I did was :

First I used x=v0t+1/2at^2 to find the distance traveled for the first segment before the force doubled

I plugged in a=(F/m) for the acceleration and v0=0 for the initial velocity
Then i got
x=1/2(F0/m)t^2
for the first segment

Then,
i used vf^2=vi^2+2ax to find the final velocity of the first segment
(plugging in the x i found from above and a=F/m and v0=0)
which i got to be
vf= (F0t)/mthen I used that final velocity as the initial velocity for the 2nd segment
and plugged in a=2F0/m
into x=v0t+1/2at^2and somehow came out with the answer
x=((2F0*t0^2)/m)) + (4F0t0)/mWhere did I go wrong ?
 
The definition of acceleration is the change in velocity over the change in time
 
jazzyfizzle said:
Ok what I did was :

First I used x=v0t+1/2at^2 to find the distance traveled for the first segment before the force doubled

I plugged in a=(F/m) for the acceleration and v0=0 for the initial velocity
Then i got
x=1/2(F0/m)t^2
for the first segment
Good! You have the first segment done.

Then,
i used vf^2=vi^2+2ax to find the final velocity of the first segment
(plugging in the x i found from above and a=F/m and v0=0)
which i got to be
vf= (F0t)/m
Good. An easier way would be to use vf = vi + at, but your way is perfectly fine.


then I used that final velocity as the initial velocity for the 2nd segment
and plugged in a=2F0/m
into x=v0t+1/2at^2
That will give you the distance for the second segment. (Then you'll add that to what you already found for the first segment.)


and somehow came out with the answer
x=((2F0*t0^2)/m)) + (4F0t0)/m
I don't see how you got this. Show me what you plugged in where.
 
Ooh, well I never went back and added the first segment.. maybe that's where I went wrong ? .. and my algebra could be a little off too. I'll probably need to go back and double check that also.
 
For the second segment I'm getting the distance as

[F0(3t0 + t0^2)]/m
 
jazzyfizzle said:
For the second segment I'm getting the distance as

[F0(3t0 + t0^2)]/m
That's not dimensionally correct. Show me what you plugged in for each term in the following:
x=v0t+1/2at^2
x = (v0)(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2
 
jazzyfizzle said:
v0 ---> (F0t0)/m
t ----> 2
a -----> (2F0)/m
v0 and a are correct, but the time for the second segment is the same as the first: t0. (From t0 to 2t0.)