1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate Value Theorem question

1. Jul 5, 2017 #1
    Consider a continuous function [itex]f[/itex] in [itex][a,b][/itex] and [itex]f(a) < f(b)[/itex]. Suppose that [itex]\forall s \neq t[/itex] in [itex][a,b][/itex], [itex]f(s) \neq f(t)[/itex]. Proof that [itex]f[/itex] is strictly increasing function in [itex][a,b][/itex].

2. Relevant equations

I.V.T: If [itex]f[/itex] is continuous in [itex][a,b][/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] is a real in [itex][f(a),f(b)][/itex], then there'll be at least one [itex]c[/itex] in [itex][a,b][/itex] such that [itex]f(c) = \gamma[/itex].

3. The attempt at a solution

This exercise is very strange to me. Besides I can apply the I.V.T to show that for any sub interval in [a,b] there will be an intermediate value in [itex]f(a), f(b)[/itex], I can easily draw and counter example of what it pretends:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/dtj28xo4ilaai4z/pf.eps?dl=0

I am missing something important?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2017 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your example violates the hypotheses of the claim: your function ##f(x)## has ##f(s) = f(t)## for several pairs ##(s,t)## with ##s \neq t##.

4. Jul 5, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Picture doesn't make it. Blank screen. Can you copy/paste it in the post ?

5. Jul 5, 2017 #4
    upload_2017-7-5_11-24-35.png

6. Jul 5, 2017 #5
    I did the first one in libreoffice, so I made the mistake pointed by Ray.

7. Jul 5, 2017 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your drawing violates the assumption that ##f(s) \neq f(t)##
    Minor point. The verb is "to prove". The noun is "proof".

8. Jul 5, 2017 #7
    Thank you! Now I got the point! Sorry for my poor English!! Thank you very much. Now it's clear for me!

9. Jul 5, 2017 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No need for an apology. Lots of native speakers of English also get this wrong (prove vs. proof), sometimes spelling "prove" as "proove."

10. Jul 8, 2017 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Figure from link in OP:
    upload_2017-7-8_11-40-23.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted