Question on Mean Value Theorem & Intermediate Value Theorem

In summary: The correct question is to prove that if \alpha and \beta are between 0 and 2, then there exists a c such that$$\int_0^4 f(t)\,dt = 2(\alpha f(\alpha) + \beta f(\beta)$$and the proof is much easier.In summary, the problem is to prove that for any function f and for any \alpha and \beta between 0 and 2, there exists a c such that $$\int_0^4 f(t)\,dt = 2(\alpha f(\alpha) + \beta f(\beta))$$The proof for this statement is much easier as compared to the previous statement, where the question was
Titan97
Gold Member

Homework Statement

for ##0<\alpha,\beta<2##, prove that ##\int_0^4f(t)dt=2[\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)]##

Homework Equations

Mean value theorem: ##f'(c)=\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer for the question but I have made an assumption but I don't know if it's correct.

Let ##g(x)=\int_0^{x^2}f(t)dt## and let ##h(x)=g'(x)=2xf(x^2)##

now, applying intermediate value theorem for ##h(x)## in ##x\in (\alpha,\beta)##, there exists a point ##x=k## such that,
$$h(k)=\frac{h(\alpha)+h(\beta)}{2}=\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)$$
$$g'(k)=\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)$$
assumption: Now, for g(x), if ##x=k## also satisfies Mean value theorem and since ##0<k<2##,

$$g'(k)=\frac{f(2)-f(0)}{2}=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{4}f(t)dt=\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)$$

Hence, $$\int_0^{4}f(t)dt=2[\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)]$$

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What, exactly, are you to prove? You say "for [itex]0<α,β< 2[/itex] [itex] \int_0^4 f(t)dt=2[\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)][/itex]"
That reads "for all [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] strictly between 0 and 2, and for any integrable function, f" this equality is true.

But that is clearly NOT true. In your "proof" you appear to determine that there exist numbers [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] that work.

Titan97 said:

Homework Statement

for ##0<\alpha,\beta<2##, prove that ##\int_0^4f(t)dt=2[\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)]##

What exactly is the question? To prove that there exist [itex]0 < \alpha < 2[/itex] and [itex]0 < \beta < 2[/itex] such that [tex]
\int_0^4 f(t)\,dt = 2(\alpha f(\alpha) + \beta f(\beta))?[/tex] Are there any conditions on [itex]f[/itex]?

Homework Equations

Mean value theorem: $$f'(c)=\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the answer for the question but I have made an assumption but I don't know if it's correct.

Let ##g(x)=\int_0^{x^2}f(t)dt## and let ##h(x)=g'(x)=2xf(x^2)##

now, applying intermediate value theorem for ##h(x)## in ##x\in (\alpha,\beta)##, there exists a point ##x=k## such that,
$$h(k)=\frac{h(\alpha)+h(\beta)}{2}=\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)$$

Unfortunately
[tex]\frac{h(\alpha) + h(\beta)}{2} = \alpha f(\alpha^2) + \beta f(\beta^2)[/tex] which doesn't help you.

EDIT: It occurs to me that [itex]\alpha f(\alpha) + \beta f(\beta)[/itex] doesn't involve the value of [itex]f[/itex] on [itex](2, 4][/itex] at all, which seems suspicious.

Last edited:
I am very sorry. My teacher gave me a wrong question.

1. What is the mean value theorem?

The mean value theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on the open interval, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the slope of the tangent line is equal to the average rate of change of the function over that interval.

2. What is the significance of the mean value theorem?

The mean value theorem is significant because it provides a way to find the exact value of the slope of a curve at a particular point, without having to use complex methods like limits or derivatives. It is also used to prove other important theorems in calculus, such as the first and second derivatives tests for determining the nature of critical points.

3. What is the intermediate value theorem?

The intermediate value theorem states that if a continuous function has values of opposite signs at the endpoints of an interval, then there exists at least one point in the interval where the function takes on the value of zero. In other words, if a function changes sign on an interval, then it must have at least one root (or solution) on that interval.

4. How is the intermediate value theorem used in real life?

The intermediate value theorem is used in many real-life applications, such as in economics and finance to prove the existence of equilibrium points. It is also used in physics and engineering to determine the existence of solutions to equations that model real-world phenomena. Additionally, the intermediate value theorem is used in numerical methods to find approximate solutions to equations.

5. Can the mean value theorem and the intermediate value theorem be used interchangeably?

No, the mean value theorem and the intermediate value theorem are two separate theorems with different conditions and implications. The mean value theorem deals with the relationship between the slope of a curve and the average rate of change of the function, while the intermediate value theorem deals with the existence of roots of a function. However, both theorems are important in calculus and are often used together to solve problems.