1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on Mean Value Theorem & Intermediate Value Theorem

1. Aug 18, 2015 #1

Titan97

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    for ##0<\alpha,\beta<2##, prove that ##\int_0^4f(t)dt=2[\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)]##

2. Relevant equations
    Mean value theorem: ##f'(c)=\frac{f(b)-f(a)}{b-a}##

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the answer for the question but I have made an assumption but I don't know if it's correct.

Let ##g(x)=\int_0^{x^2}f(t)dt## and let ##h(x)=g'(x)=2xf(x^2)##

now, applying intermediate value theorem for ##h(x)## in ##x\in (\alpha,\beta)##, there exists a point ##x=k## such that,
    $$h(k)=\frac{h(\alpha)+h(\beta)}{2}=\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)$$
    $$g'(k)=\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)$$
    assumption: Now, for g(x), if ##x=k## also satisfies Mean value theorem and since ##0<k<2##,

$$g'(k)=\frac{f(2)-f(0)}{2}=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{4}f(t)dt=\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)$$

Hence, $$\int_0^{4}f(t)dt=2[\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)]$$

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 19, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What, exactly, are you to prove? You say "for [itex]0<α,β< 2[/itex] [itex] \int_0^4 f(t)dt=2[\alpha f(\alpha)+\beta f(\beta)][/itex]"
    That reads "for all [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] strictly between 0 and 2, and for any integrable function, f" this equality is true.

But that is clearly NOT true. In your "proof" you appear to determine that there exist numbers [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] that work.

4. Aug 19, 2015 #3

pasmith

Homework Helper

What exactly is the question? To prove that there exist [itex]0 < \alpha < 2[/itex] and [itex]0 < \beta < 2[/itex] such that [tex]
    \int_0^4 f(t)\,dt = 2(\alpha f(\alpha) + \beta f(\beta))?[/tex] Are there any conditions on [itex]f[/itex]?

Unfortunately
    [tex]\frac{h(\alpha) + h(\beta)}{2} = \alpha f(\alpha^2) + \beta f(\beta^2)[/tex] which doesn't help you.

EDIT: It occurs to me that [itex]\alpha f(\alpha) + \beta f(\beta)[/itex] doesn't involve the value of [itex]f[/itex] on [itex](2, 4][/itex] at all, which seems suspicious.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  5. Aug 21, 2015 #4

Titan97

Gold Member

I am very sorry. My teacher gave me a wrong question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted