1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intermediate Value Theorem related question

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose the g:[0,1] -> R is continuouse, with g(0)=g(1). Show that there exists an x in [0,1/2] such that g(x) = g(x+1/2)

2. Relevant equations
    The intermediate value theorem is used in there somewhere. IVT:
    If f(x) is continuous on the interval [a,b] and f(a)<q<f(b), then there exists an x in [a,b] such that f(x)=q.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried creating another function, p(x) = g(x) - g(x+1/2). I want to show p(x)=0 at some point in [0,1/2] by finding a positive number in the interval and a negative one, then quote the IVT. But I can't seem to do that. I tried substituting the endpoint values in but they didn't help much. And I assume that g(0)=g(1) must come into play somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2008 #2
    What is p(0)? What is p(1/2)? How do these quantities relate to one another?

4. Aug 23, 2008 #3
    Hmm...
    p(0) = g(0) - g(1/2)
    p(1/2) = g(1/2) - g(1) = g(1/2) - g(0) = -p(0)

Ooh. So I just say that they're negative of each other? And if one's negative and the other's positive then there must be a zero in between. Is that it? :D
    Silly me.

5. Aug 23, 2008 #4
    There is also the case that p(0)=p(1)=0, but that is also easy to deal with.

6. Aug 23, 2008 #5
    Can I do it for p(1) if we want x in [0,1/2]? :S
    Anyway, thanks for the hint. Someone else told me to consider the three cases p(0)=0, p(0)>0 and p(0)<0 so I've been sitting here for ages trying to figure that out! Any idea how to do it with that method?

7. Aug 23, 2008 #6
    Sorry I meant p(0)=p(1/2)=0. That method is basically what you've done, you've already figured out the cases when p(0)>0 and p(0)<0 since you know p(1/2)=-p(0). That only leaves p(0)=0 which is the case above p(0)=p(1/2)=0.

8. Aug 23, 2008 #7
    Oh ok I see what u mean. Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?