1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal resistance of multimeter

1. Oct 21, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am taking a class in circuit analysis and am trying to measure the internal resistance of the Radio Shack multimeter. The internal resistance (unknown) is R_x. A battery (with voltage V_s) is available along with a resistor R that has the same order of magnitude of R_x.

2. Relevant equations

Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried using the circuit shown in the attached file and connected it in the way shown below the circuit. Before making any connections, I tried to figure out what the voltages would be.

I think the voltage across R should be V_s because of KVL around the loop containing the battery and the resistor.

By applying KVL around the loop containing the multimeter, I get the following equation:

V_x + V_s = v

(V_x is the voltage across the internal resistance of the meter.)

But when I hook up the circuit, the voltage v is less than V_s, which would mean that V_x is negative, right? This does not make sense to me. It looks like R_x and R are in series, which, if V_x was positive, would mean that I could write something like

[tex]
    v \frac{R}{R+R_x} = V_s
    [/tex]

which would mean

[tex]
    R\left( \frac{v}{V_s} - 1 \right) = R_x
    [/tex]

But because v is less than V_s, the parenthesized expression is negative and R_x is negative, which can't be true. Any advice?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You seem to be thinking of the meter resistance as being in series with a meter device which has infinite resistance. Instead, consider the meter resistance as a resistance value that is in parallel with ("shunts") a perfect meter. The perfect (or "ideal") meter tells you the potential across this meter resistance.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52186&stc=1&d=1350874556.gif

You might want to reconsider the configuration of your test circuit (hint: think voltage divider).

Attached Files:

• Fig1.gif
      Fig1.gif
      File size:
      968 bytes
      Views:
  4. Oct 22, 2012 #3
    Your equation:
    V_x + V_s = v
    should rather read
    V_s - V_x = V
    The emf of the battery is positve, but the voltage drop through Rx is negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook