Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

International Change Electric Charge Day

1. Mar 5, 2016 #1

fedaykin

Gold Member

Hello.

What would you think of the international scientific community calling to change all negatively charged particles to positive and vice versa? Do you think there's a circumstance where we should switch or should have switched?

The only reason I brought this up is that it came up when describing an electron microscope to one of our IT personnel, and I got confused as to the disk held connected to ground (the anode). I suspect it would be too difficult to do this as millions of documents would need to be rewritten, software rewritten, etc. In other words, it would still cause more confusion than good even if there were widespread awareness of the change of convention.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2016 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What "international scientific community" is calling to do this dumb thing?

Zz.

4. Mar 5, 2016 #3

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Bingo. It's a lot easier just to tell people, "It's Ben Franklin's fault" when they get confused.

5. Mar 5, 2016 #4

Evo

Please post the source for this.

6. Mar 5, 2016 #5
    He's asking what would people think, not what do people think. It's a "what if" proposition, not a statement of fact.

7. Mar 5, 2016 #6

Evo

Ah, ok, thread closed, we don't do idle speculation. See post #2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook