International Change Electric Charge Day

• Thread starter fedaykin
  • Start date
fedaykin
Hello.

What would you think of the international scientific community calling to change all negatively charged particles to positive and vice versa? Do you think there's a circumstance where we should switch or should have switched?

The only reason I brought this up is that it came up when describing an electron microscope to one of our IT personnel, and I got confused as to the disk held connected to ground (the anode). I suspect it would be too difficult to do this as millions of documents would need to be rewritten, software rewritten, etc. In other words, it would still cause more confusion than good even if there were widespread awareness of the change of convention.

Answers and Replies

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Hello.

What would you think of the international scientific community calling to change all negatively charged particles to positive and vice versa?

What "international scientific community" is calling to do this dumb thing?

Zz.

Likes Evo
jtbell
Mentor
I suspect it would be too difficult to do this as millions of documents would need to be rewritten, software rewritten, etc.

Bingo. It's a lot easier just to tell people, "It's Ben Franklin's fault" when they get confused.

Evo
Mentor
Hello.

What would you think of the international scientific community calling to change all negatively charged particles to positive and vice versa? Do you think there's a circumstance where we should switch or should have switched?

The only reason I brought this up is that it came up when describing an electron microscope to one of our IT personnel, and I got confused as to the disk held connected to ground (the anode). I suspect it would be too difficult to do this as millions of documents would need to be rewritten, software rewritten, etc. In other words, it would still cause more confusion than good even if there were widespread awareness of the change of convention.
Please post the source for this.

zoobyshoe
Please post the source for this.
He's asking what would people think, not what do people think. It's a "what if" proposition, not a statement of fact.

Evo
Mentor
He's asking what would people think, not what do people think. It's a "what if" proposition, not a statement of fact.
Ah, ok, thread closed, we don't do idle speculation. See post #2.

Suggested for: International Change Electric Charge Day

• Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies