Why are there only two types of electric charge?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electric charge and why there are only two types of charge. The participants also consider the possibility of there being more than two types of charge and the implications of this. It is mentioned that charges are described mathematically and can be represented by matrices. The conversation also touches on the fact that certain forces can be both attractive and repulsive, while others are only attractive.
Zedertie Dessen
TL;DR Summary
I've started to wonder about this the more I watch popular science videos about the Standard Model of particles physics and about matter and antimatter.
Why are there only two types of electric charge? I'm asking as a total layman in science.

I've started to wonder about this the more I watch popular science videos about the Standard Model of particles physics and about matter and antimatter. In particular, the various types of subatomic particles and the relative strengths of the fundamental forces. And also because one of the "forces," gravitation, has only one type, so to speak - attractive.

Do any practicing physicists think there is any way there could be more than just "positive charge" and "negative charge," or any way to construct a hypothetical standard model with more than two types of charge, or what the implications would be for n types of charge, etc.?

These are just my idle speculations but perhaps someone with actual training has given serious thought to them.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is fundamentally about how electromagnetic interactions are described mathematically, which results in electric charge being a number and numbers can be negative or positive (or zero). Other interactions, such as weak or strong interactions, have a different structure that is more involved mathematically and indeed you have, to some simplification, six color charges in strong interactions (three colors - red, blue, green - that can be carried by quarks, and three anti-colors that can be carried by anti-quarks).

Likes vanhees71
To add to what Orodruin wrote, in general charges are described by matrices. Electromagnetism happens to be a 1x1 matrix, i.e. a number.

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Electromagnetism happens to be a 1x1 matrix, i.e. a number.
but one can have a nxm negative matrix, a matrix whose entries are all negative numbers?

Why not?

"Why are there only two types of electric charge? "

Fair question. I'm still trying to grasp quarks' 1/3 & 2/3 charges...

Again, why not? Would it be easier to understand if electrons had 3 units of elementary charge?

The reason why some forces can be attractive and repulsive while others only attractive is due to the field that you use to describe the force. A force described by a scalar particle (spin 0) or tensorial particle (spin 2) are always attractive, like gravity (that's why we think that, if the graviton exists must have spin 2). If the force is described by a field of spin 1 (like the photon, W Z bosons and gluons) then the force can be attractive and repulsive depending on the charges.

Likes vanhees71

1. Why are there only two types of electric charge?

The concept of electric charge was first introduced by physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb in the 18th century. He observed that there are two types of charges - positive and negative. These charges are fundamental properties of matter and cannot be created or destroyed. This means that there can only be two types of electric charge.

2. What is the difference between positive and negative charges?

Positive charges are associated with protons, which have a positive charge, while negative charges are associated with electrons, which have a negative charge. The main difference between these two types of charges is their polarity - positive charges repel each other, while negative charges repel each other as well. However, positive and negative charges attract each other, creating a balance in the overall charge of an object.

3. Why can't there be more than two types of electric charge?

The two types of electric charge, positive and negative, are considered to be fundamental properties of matter. This means that they cannot be broken down into smaller components or further divided into more types of charges. The laws of physics, specifically the theory of electromagnetism, only allow for two types of electric charge to exist.

4. How do positive and negative charges interact with each other?

Positive and negative charges interact with each other through the electromagnetic force. This force is responsible for the attraction and repulsion between charges. The strength of the force depends on the distance between the charges and the amount of charge they possess. This interaction is what allows for the flow of electricity and the functioning of electronic devices.

5. Can the number of positive and negative charges in an object change?

No, the number of positive and negative charges in an object cannot change. As mentioned earlier, electric charges are fundamental properties of matter and cannot be created or destroyed. However, the distribution of these charges can change, resulting in a change in the overall charge of an object. This is known as charging by induction and is commonly seen in static electricity.