Internships in the US as a Canadian

• Physics
  • Thread starter raina1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internships
In summary, the person is a second-year Physics student in Canada looking for an 8-month co-op in the US. They are wondering if there are programs that accept Canadians, and if it is appropriate to reach out to professors directly. They mention the use of J-1 Visas for internships and research opportunities, and someone else provides information on obtaining a J-1 Visa. However, it is mentioned that having a sponsor is necessary and many internships are restricted to only US citizens or those already at a US university. They suggest looking into opportunities in Europe and Asia, but caution against putting the cart before the horse by figuring out the visa before finding a sponsor.
raina1234
Hi,

I apologize if this isn't the place to ask this. I am a second-year Physics student in Canada, and I have a scheduled 8-month co-op soon (from September 2020 to April 2021, yes it's still early). I wanted to work in the US, either as part of a national research laboratory, or a university, or any sort of internship program.

I noticed that many internships require US citizenship, so I was wondering if anyone knew of programs that take Canadians? Also, would it be weird to reach out to professors at US universities directly?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Fifteen years ago or so, when my wife was an MASC student, she used to do 4-month internships at GM under a J-1 visa.

Thank you for your reply!

I've heard of people doing this but it seems like they arrange the J-1 Visa after they have gotten a job offer. I guess my question is, how does one go about getting said job offer as a Canadian with no US Visa? Are J-1 Visas required to intern in the US? I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject.

Many internship programs require citizenship, so I've been looking at professor bios in hopes to gain research experience in their labs. However, I don't know if it's a good idea to directly reach out to them.

raina1234 said:
Thank you for your reply!

I've heard of people doing this but it seems like they arrange the J-1 Visa after they have gotten a job offer. I guess my question is, how does one go about getting said job offer as a Canadian with no US Visa? Are J-1 Visas required to intern in the US? I'm not too knowledgeable on the subject.

Many internship programs require citizenship, so I've been looking at professor bios in hopes to gain research experience in their labs. However, I don't know if it's a good idea to directly reach out to them.

I can't say for research opportunities, but certainly for private sector co-op work placements or internships, typically the employer will sponsor you and help arrange the various visas. Here is a link that provides some further information.

https://www.legalline.ca/legal-answers/can-canadians-work-in-the-usa/

The above link is more geared to those Canadians working in private sector employment, from what I can tell.
The J-1 Visa is more directed towards Canadians and other non-US citizens seeking research or teaching opportunities in the US. Here is a link with a better description of the program.

https://j1visa.state.gov/programs

You would probably fall under the College and University Student Program, which specifically mentions student internship programs in a research setting.

StatGuy2000 said:
I can't say for research opportunities, but certainly for private sector co-op work placements or internships, typically the employer will sponsor you and help arrange the various visas. Here is a link that provides some further information.

https://www.legalline.ca/legal-answers/can-canadians-work-in-the-usa/

The above link is more geared to those Canadians working in private sector employment, from what I can tell.
The J-1 Visa is more directed towards Canadians and other non-US citizens seeking research or teaching opportunities in the US. Here is a link with a better description of the program.

https://j1visa.state.gov/programs

You would probably fall under the College and University Student Program, which specifically mentions student internship programs in a research setting.

But here, we are putting the cart before the horse. That visa will not be granted without a sponsor, i.e. an agency, institution, business, etc. that wants that individual in the first place. And many of these internships, especially at US universities and National labs, are restricted to only US citizens AND those already at a US university. So they definitely will not extend a J-1 visa, or whatever visa, to non-US citizens. That's why I said that figuring out what visa is required is rather pre-mature.

Unless there is an exchange program, or a specific bi-lateral program between an institution in Canada and the US, or unless there is a private company that is open to making such a sponsorship for an international intern, such opportunities are usually difficult to find.

Zz.

You'll probably find there are more opportunities for private sector sponsored co-op positions. In terms of actual research positions at academic institutions I would check to see what opportunities your school offers but you may find there are more opportunities at universities in Europe and Asia. Not sure where in Canada you are but you might want to check out

http://obw.ouinternational.ca/programs
http://www.ora.ouinternational.ca/programs
http://www.osaka-u.ac.jp/en/international/inbound/exchange_program/frontierlab/frontierlabguide

ZapperZ said:
But here, we are putting the cart before the horse. That visa will not be granted without a sponsor, i.e. an agency, institution, business, etc. that wants that individual in the first place. And many of these internships, especially at US universities and National labs, are restricted to only US citizens AND those already at a US university. So they definitely will not extend a J-1 visa, or whatever visa, to non-US citizens. That's why I said that figuring out what visa is required is rather pre-mature.

Unless there is an exchange program, or a specific bi-lateral program between an institution in Canada and the US, or unless there is a private company that is open to making such a sponsorship for an international intern, such opportunities are usually difficult to find.

Zz.

The existence of the J-1 visa pre-supposes research opportunities at American universities that are open to non-US citizens -- for example, in joint collaborations between American universities and their partner universities outside of the US (whether in Canada or elsewhere). That was certainly the assumption I was making.

The OP asked a question regarding visa requirements, and I offered some info above.

What is the process for obtaining an internship in the US as a Canadian?

The process for obtaining an internship in the US as a Canadian may vary depending on the specific program or company you are applying to. However, in general, you will need to obtain a J-1 visa, which is a non-immigrant visa for individuals participating in cultural exchange programs. To obtain this visa, you will typically need to secure an internship offer from a US-based company, provide proof of enrollment in a Canadian academic institution, and show that you have sufficient funds to cover your expenses during your internship.

Can I do an internship in the US without a visa?

No, as a Canadian, you will need a J-1 visa to participate in an internship in the US. This visa allows you to stay in the US for the duration of your internship and participate in cultural exchange activities. Without this visa, you will not be authorized to work in the US and may face legal consequences if you do so.

How can I find internship opportunities in the US as a Canadian?

There are several ways to find internship opportunities in the US as a Canadian. You can search online job boards, attend career fairs or networking events, or reach out directly to companies that interest you. It may also be helpful to utilize your university's career center, as they may have connections with US companies that offer internships to international students.

Do I need to have a certain level of English proficiency to do an internship in the US as a Canadian?

Yes, most companies in the US will require you to have a certain level of English proficiency to be eligible for an internship. This is because effective communication is essential in the workplace. Some companies may require you to take an English proficiency test, while others may conduct interviews to assess your language skills.

What are the benefits of doing an internship in the US as a Canadian?

There are numerous benefits to doing an internship in the US as a Canadian. It allows you to gain valuable work experience in a different country, which can enhance your resume and make you more competitive in the job market. It also allows you to expand your professional network and develop cross-cultural communication skills. Additionally, an internship in the US can provide you with a unique cultural experience and help you gain a better understanding of American business practices.