Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interpolating Data with the Discrete Fourier Transform

1. Jul 2, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone:

I have some question using the FFT in matlab for data interpolating. I don't know what the relation between the normal fourier series and the real, image number.

For example, given a set of measurement data, I can use the curve fitting toolbox to fit a curve.
    The general equation is f(x) = a0 + a1*cos(x*w) + b1*sin(x*w) + a2*cos(2*x*w) + b2*sin(2*x*w) for a a factor 2 fourier series. The a0,a1,b1,a2,b2 and w can be obtained.

When I use the FFT function, it returns the Fourier transform of each column of the matrix. This matrix has real and imaginary part.

Are their any relationship between those two results ? if yes, what should I do to convert the FFT results into a normal fourier series format?

Thank in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2013 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Usually when you have a Fourier transform with real and imaginary parts, the real part is the cosine transform and the imaginary part is the sine transform.

However I am not familiar with the specific algorithm, so I could be completely wrong.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook