Interpreting and converting an acceleration-time graph

• Thread starter ACSC
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving calculating a particle's speed at a given time based on its velocity and acceleration. The equations a = Δv/Δt, v = Δx/Δt, and x = area under velocity graph are mentioned. After some confusion and discussion, it is determined that the particle's speed does not slow down to 15m/s, but rather slows down by 15m/s. A graph is provided to illustrate this concept.
ACSC

Homework Statement

WL9HGAZ.png

Homework Equations

a = Δv/Δt
v = Δx/Δt
x = area under velocity graph

The Attempt at a Solution

According to my second attempt, the answer to "particle's speed at t = 20.0 s?" is not 15m/s either.
Working out picture.
I don't understand where I went wrong. I've always thought that the area under a velocity graph would give the distance.
If t=20s isn't v=15m/s, then maybe that's why? But according to the a-t graph, 5x-3=-15. :S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take another look at your graph for the deceleration phase. It slows down by 15m/s.

Ibix said:
Take another look at your graph for the deceleration phase. It slows down by 15m/s.

Oh... I see now. It doesn't slow down to 15m/s but slows down 15m/s.
So like this, right?
lL42HNY.png

ACSC said:
Oh... I see now. It doesn't slow down to 15m/s but slows down 15m/s.
So like this, right?
[ IMG]http://i.imgur.com/lL42HNY.png[/PLAIN]
That looks good !

As a scientist, it is important to always double check your work and make sure your calculations are correct. In this case, it seems like there may be an error in your calculation for the particle's speed at t=20s.

To interpret and convert an acceleration-time graph, it is important to remember the equations a=Δv/Δt and v=Δx/Δt. The area under the velocity graph does indeed give the distance, but in this case, we are looking for the particle's speed at a specific time, not the distance it has traveled.

To find the particle's speed at t=20s, we can use the equation v=Δx/Δt. From the given a-t graph, we can see that the acceleration is constant at -3 m/s^2. This means that the velocity is decreasing by 3 m/s every second.

At t=20s, the particle's initial velocity was 15 m/s (from t=0s to t=10s, the velocity was constant at 15 m/s). So, at t=20s, the particle's velocity would have decreased by 3 m/s for 10 seconds, giving a final velocity of 15-3(10) = -15 m/s.

Therefore, the correct answer to "particle's speed at t=20.0s?" is -15 m/s. It is important to always double check your calculations and make sure they align with the given information and equations.

Question 1: What is an acceleration-time graph?

An acceleration-time graph is a graphical representation of the acceleration of an object over time. It shows how the acceleration changes as time passes.

Question 2: How do you interpret an acceleration-time graph?

To interpret an acceleration-time graph, you need to look at the shape of the graph. A straight line indicates a constant acceleration, while a curved line indicates a changing acceleration. The slope of the line represents the magnitude of the acceleration.

Question 3: How do you convert an acceleration-time graph to a velocity-time graph?

To convert an acceleration-time graph to a velocity-time graph, you can use the following formula: v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. Plot the calculated velocities on the y-axis of the new graph.

Question 4: Can an acceleration-time graph be used to determine the displacement of an object?

Yes, an acceleration-time graph can be used to determine the displacement of an object. By finding the area under the graph, you can calculate the displacement using the formula: s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Question 5: How can you tell if an object is accelerating or decelerating from an acceleration-time graph?

You can tell if an object is accelerating or decelerating by looking at the slope of the graph. A positive slope indicates acceleration, while a negative slope indicates deceleration. You can also look at the direction of the line on the graph - if it is going up, the object is accelerating, and if it is going down, the object is decelerating.