Interpreting this wave funtion

• Thread starter RJS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wave
In summary, the problem asks to find the amplitude, wavelength, and velocity of a combined wave given by y(x,t)=[(4.8mm)sin(x/3.6m)cos(130rad/s)t]. The amplitude is half of the given value, the wavelength can be found using trig identities, and the velocity can be found using frequency and wavelength. The equation must be changed to find the individual wave functions y1(x,t) and y2(x,t).
RJS

Homework Statement

y(x,t)=[(4.8mm)sin(x/3.6m)cos(130rad/s)t]

find Amplitude, wavelength and velocity of wave from the two combined waves.

there are two waves here, combined into one, show each wave function: y1(x,t) and y2(x,t).

Homework Equations

ok, i can fully manipulate the wave function when it's in it's basic form of y(x,t)=Acos(kx-wt+phi) but i must be missing something here. is the problem in a form that can be worked or must it be reworked with a trig function? it's all being multiplied so I'm not sure how to get it into the (kx-wt) format.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

because they are two waves in this equation Amplitude is (4.8mm/2)=2.4mm... correct?

wave length can be found using kx= [2(pi)x]/(lambda) and velocity will be found using wt=2(pi)tf to find frequency and then v=(lambda)(frequency)

my question is do i need to change the equation? or can i just use it as is?

I don't have the answer to this question, so if you can point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're correct on amplitude, wavelength, frequency and velocity.

In addition, yes you will need to change the equation, since it asks explicitly to "show each wave function: y1(x,t) and y2(x,t)."

If you can figure out how to express
sin(a)cos(b)
in terms of
sin(a+b), sin(a-b), cos(a+b), and/or cos(a-b)
using trig-addition identities, then it is solvable.

As a scientist, it is important to always clarify and fully understand the given information before attempting to solve a problem. In this case, it would be helpful to have a clearer definition of the problem and the context in which it is being presented. It is not clear what the variables x and t represent, and what physical phenomenon the wave function is describing.

However, based on the given information, it seems that there are two waves being combined into one wave function. In order to find the amplitude, wavelength, and velocity of the combined wave, it would be helpful to know the individual wave functions, y1(x,t) and y2(x,t). From there, you can use the basic wave equation, y(x,t) = Acos(kx-wt+phi), to manipulate the given equation and solve for the desired values.

It is also important to note that the given equation is in the form of y(x,t) = Asin(kx)cos(wt), which is different from the basic wave equation. This may require additional steps to manipulate the equation into the desired form.

In general, it is important to have a clear understanding of the variables and equations involved in a problem before attempting to solve it. If there are any uncertainties, it is always best to clarify with the person or source providing the information.

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a particle. It contains information about the position, momentum, and other physical properties of the particle.

2. How is a wave function interpreted?

The interpretation of a wave function depends on the interpretation of quantum mechanics being used. In the Copenhagen interpretation, the wave function represents the probability of a particle being in a certain state. In the many-worlds interpretation, the wave function represents all possible states of the particle in different parallel universes.

3. What is the role of the Schrödinger equation in interpreting a wave function?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a wave function. By solving the Schrödinger equation, we can determine the wave function at any point in time and interpret its meaning accordingly.

4. How does the uncertainty principle affect the interpretation of a wave function?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. This means that the wave function cannot provide precise information about these properties and instead gives a range of possible values.

5. Can the wave function be measured?

No, the wave function itself cannot be measured. However, it can be used to calculate the probability of obtaining a certain measurement when a measurement is made on a particle. This is known as the Born rule.