1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interrelation between energy and momentum

1. Feb 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two mine cars of equal mass are connected by a rope which is initially slack. Car A is imparted a velocity of 4m/s with car B initially at rest. When the slack is taken up the rope suffers a tension impact that imparts a velocity to car B and reduces the velocity of car A.

a. If 40% of the kinetic energy of car A is lost during the impact calculate the velocity imparted to car B.

b. Following the initial impact car B overtakes car A and the two are coupled together. Calculate their final common velocity.

2. Relevant equations

The definition of kinetic energy:
    KE = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]*m*[itex]V^{2}[/itex]

Momentum impulse equation:
    [itex]m_{1}[/itex]*[itex]v_{1}[/itex]+[itex]\int\sum F[/itex] = [itex]m_{2}[/itex]*[itex]v_{2}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

part B is easy, you just assume both carts are a system so there is no outside impulse.
    [itex]m_{B}[/itex]*0+[itex]m_{A}[/itex]*4=[itex]m_{A}[/itex]*v+[itex]m_{B}[/itex]*v
    [itex]m_{A}[/itex] = [itex]m_{B}[/itex]
    Since they are both the same mass they each end up going 2 m/s.

Part A is confusing me. The problem states that 40 % of the kinetic energy of cart A is lost during the impact. That means that 60 % of the kinetic energy is remaining. I should be able to use the definition of kinetic energy to solve for the velocity of cart A after the impact by saying:
    0.6*[itex]KE_{A1}[/itex]=[itex]KE_{A2}[/itex]

After that I'm not really sure what to do. I presume the change in kinetic energy can be seen as an impulse, where
    M*[itex]V_{2}[/itex]-M*[itex]V_{1}[/itex] = [itex]\int\sum F[/itex]
    With M being the mass of one cart, V1 being the initial speed of cart A (4 m/s), and V2 being the speed of cart A after the impact. Then that impulse would be applied to cart 2 with an initial speed of 0 m/s.

The problem is that when I take this method I solve for a post-impact speed of cart A being 3.1 m/s and cart B being 0.9 m/s. Obviously this can't be right since the stationary cart is supposed to be overtaking the cart that was originally moving.

I hope that made sense. I'm not really used to this LATEX formatting. If I can elaborate on anything please let me know.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2
    What is the direction of car A after rope goes taut?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook