1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of Lines (Vectors)

1. Aug 26, 2013 #1

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that if the two lines

##\frac{x - c_1}{d_1} = \frac{y - c_2}{d_2} = \frac{z - c_3}{d_3}## and

##\frac{x - d_1}{c_1} = \frac{x - d_2}{c_2} = \frac{x - d_3}{c_3}##

intersect, they lie in the plane ##r.(c \times d) = 0##

where c = c1i + c2j + c3k and d = d1i + d2j + d3k

3. The attempt at a solution

I've shown that they intersect at ##x = c_1 + d_1, y = c_2 + d_2, z = c_3 + d_3##. It seems intuitively obvious that the lines lie in the plane r.(c x d) = 0, but I just can't seem to properly show this. Any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2013 #2

verty

Homework Helper

It is possible for the lines to intersect at infinitely many points, for example let ##c_i = d_i = i##. In this case, ##r . (c × d) = 0## isn't a plane. So I think one must assume we are talking about lines that intersect at exactly one point, if at all.

Given this, and assuming your proof is correct that they intersect at c+d if they intersect at all, showing that the points (c, d, c+d) are in that plane will suffice because each line goes through two of those points.

4. Aug 26, 2013 #3

FeDeX_LaTeX

Gold Member

Thanks -- I assume that the lines are non-parallel. All three points lie in the plane.

5. Aug 26, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The question is a little odd. Those two lines necessarily intersect (at x = c+d).
    Given an equation like ##\frac{x - c_1}{d_1} = \frac{y - c_2}{d_2} = \frac{z - c_3}{d_3}##, you can set each term to equal some scalar parameter t, then express the line as a vector equation. It should then be obvious that the line lies in the subspace (be it a line or a plane) generated by c and d.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted