Intersection of Two Lines

In summary, to find the point at which the normal through the point (3,-4) to the line 10x+4y-101=0 intersects the line, we can use the dot product of (x-3,y+4) and (-4/10,-10/4)=0. However, a simpler approach would be to find the slope of the normal line, which is 2/5, and then use the point-slope form to find the equation of the normal line. This gives us the equation 4y=2x-26. By solving this equation and the original equation of the line simultaneously, we can find the point of intersection.
thomasrules
I have tried but doesn't work out well...

Find the point at which the normal through the point (3,-4) to the line 10x+4y-101=0 intersects the line.

Originaly I thought that it should be found by doing the dot product of:

(x-3,y+4)dot(-4/10,-10/4)= 0

Mathematics news on Phys.org
thomasrules said:
I have tried but doesn't work out well...
Find the point at which the normal through the point (3,-4) to the line 10x+4y-101=0 intersects the line.
Originaly I thought that it should be found by doing the dot product of:
(x-3,y+4)dot(-4/10,-10/4)= 0
I can't help but wonder what your reasoning is! (The vector (-4/10, -10/4) is not in the direction of that line. The vector (4, -10) or (-4, 10) are.)

The line 10x+ 4y- 101= 0 can be written as y= (-10/4)x+ 101/10. That has slope -10/4 so a normal line has slope 4/10= 2/5.
The line through (3,-4) with that slope can be written y= (2/5)(x-3)- 4 or, without fractions, 4y= 2x- 26

Solve the equations 10x+ 4y- 101= 0 and 4y= 2x- 26 for x and y.

HallsofIvy said:
The line through (3,-4) with that slope can be written y= (2/5)(x-3)- 4 or, without fractions, 4y= 2x- 26
Solve the equations 10x+ 4y- 101= 0 and 4y= 2x- 26 for x and y.

ok i don't get how you get y= (2/5)(x-3)- 4

can't you do (x-3,y+4)dot(2,5)= 0 and then substitute

can't I also write it as r=(3,-4)+t(2,5)?

LOL i tried doing it my way and i got as an answer to be (187/14,-171/21)

Last edited:
lol can someone help me further :(

Are you determined to do this using vectors? Since this problem is entirely in 2 dimensions, I see no reason not to do it in the simplest possible way. The line 10x+4y-101=0 has slope -5/2. (Solve for y:
4y= -10x+ 101 so y= (-10/4)x+ 101/4 and -10/4= -5/2. Any line perpendicular to that must have slope 2/5.

The "point slope" form for a line, with slope m going through (a, b), is
y= m(x-a)+ b. That clearly has slope m and, just as clearly, when x= a, y= b.

yea but I'm doing geometry and you was is like going back to grade 10...We learned vectors and probably have to do it taht way

yea i''m really struggling with this one...

I understand that if you change 10x+4y-101=0 to y=(101-10x)\4 that the direction vector for that line would be (4,-10) am I right?

then since they are perpendicular I would take the point (3,-4) and subract it to make the direction vector for the other line...so

(x-3,x+4)dot(4,-10)=0 AM I RIGHT?

P.S. I have to do it this way because I have to use vectors

Part of your problem is that you keep saying the direction vector. There are an infinite number of vectors pointing in the direction of a given line, all of different lengths.

Yes, if x increases by 4 (say from 0 to 4), y decreases by 10 (from 101/4 to 61/4) so a vector pointing along the line is (4, -10). You could just as easily use (2, -5) or (-2, 5).

Yes, the equation of the perpendicular line can be written
(x- 3, y+ 4)dot(4, -10)= 0 (You have "(x- 3, x+ 4)" but I assume that is a typo. If you multiply that out, you get 4(x- 3)- 10(y+ 4)= 4x- 12- 10y- 40= 4x- 10y- 52=0 which is equivalent to the equation I gave.

Solve the two equations, 4x- 10y- 52=0 and 10x+4y-101=0 simultaneously to find the point at which they intersect.

1. What is the formula for finding the intersection point of two lines?

The formula for finding the intersection point of two lines is (x,y), where x and y are the coordinates of the point. To find the x-coordinate, you can use the formula x = (b2-b1)/(m1-m2), where b1 and b2 are the y-intercepts of the two lines and m1 and m2 are the slopes of the lines. To find the y-coordinate, you can plug in the x-coordinate into either of the two lines' equations.

2. Can two parallel lines intersect?

No, two parallel lines cannot intersect. Parallel lines have the same slope, which means they never intersect at any point. They can only be either coincident or have no points in common.

3. How many solutions can the intersection of two lines have?

The intersection of two lines can have three possible solutions: one unique solution, no solution, or infinitely many solutions. This depends on the slopes and y-intercepts of the two lines. If the slopes and y-intercepts are different, then there is one unique solution. If the slopes are the same but the y-intercepts are different, then there is no solution. If the slopes and y-intercepts are the same, then there are infinitely many solutions, and the two lines are considered coincident.

4. Can the intersection point be negative?

Yes, the intersection point can be negative. The coordinates of the intersection point depend on the equations of the two lines, so it is possible for the point to have negative coordinates.

5. Does the order of the lines matter when finding their intersection point?

No, the order of the lines does not matter when finding their intersection point. The formula for finding the point of intersection will give the same result regardless of which line is labeled as line 1 or line 2. However, it is important to be consistent in labeling the lines to avoid confusion.