1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection of two subgroups trivial, union is the whole group

1. Dec 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##G## be a group of order ##n## where ##n## is an odd squarefree prime (that is, ##n=p_1p_2\cdots p_r## where ##p_i## is an odd prime that appears only once, each ##p_i## distinct). Let ##N## be normal in ##G##. If I have that ##|G/N|=p_j## for some prime in the prime factorization of ##n##, and ##|N|=\frac{n}{p_j}##, then are the following true?
    ##N \cap G/N = \{e\}##
    and
    ##N \sqcup G/N = G##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For the first claim, if you take ##N \cap G/N## and obtain a non-trivial element, that element will generate ##G/N##. And since that element is also in ##N##, I believe that would mean ##G/N < N##, but by LaGrange's theorem, since their orders are relatively prime, ##G/N## cannot be a subgroup of ##N##. Thus, the intersection is trivial. I'm a bit stuck on getting started on the second condition.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does ##N \cap G/N## mean? ##N## is a subset of ##G##, but ##G/N## is not: it is a collection of subsets of ##G##. What do you mean by the intersection of these objects?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  4. Dec 5, 2013 #3
    Yes I apologize. When writing up the question, I got excited that this lemma would help me prove a bigger problem I had. Indeed, ##G/N## is a group since ##N\vartriangleright G##, but of course ##G/N## itself is not a subgroup of ##G##, which renders the lemma useless in my case, though, I do like the lemma. Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted