1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection point between a line with slope m and f(x)

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1

cir

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    f(x) = 2x2-5x-12 is given;
    part a: find derivative of f(x) using first principles,
    part b: find the rate of change of f(x) at x=1,
    part c: the points at which the line through (1, -15) with slope m cuts the graph of f(x),
    part d: the value of m such that the points of intersection found in (c) are coincident,
    part e: the equation of the tangent to the graph of f(x) at the point (1, -15)

2. The attempt at a solution
    I found the derivative first, using first principles, it is f'(x) = 4x - 5

Then for part b, the rate of change of f(x) at x = 1, it's the f'(x) value at x = 1, which is -1, the slope of tangent.

I am stuck at part c. I first got the line equation; y-y1=m(x-x1) using point (1, -15), which gives y = mx-m-15

So to find the intersection points with this line and f(x), I tried to equate them both and solve,

mx-m-15 = 2x2-5x-12, and end up at the following,

2x2-(5-m)x+(m+3)=0 how do I solve this? or is my approach wrong?

And what is that part d is asking? I didn't understand it.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You are correct thus far.

Part d is saying that the equation you found 2x2-(5-m)x+(m+3)=0 has only one root.

4. Jan 11, 2010 #3

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Hi cir, welcome to PF.
    2x2-(5-m)x+(m+3)=0
    This equation should be
    2x2-(5+m)x+(m+3)=0
    If ax^2 + bx + c = 0, then x = [-b (+ or -)(b^2 - 4ac)^1/2 ]/2a
    Use this formula and solve for x.

5. Jan 11, 2010 #4

cir

@rl.bhat

Thanks. Just saw the sign error. Now able to solve using factorization too.

mx-m-15=2x2-5x-12

2x2-5x-mx+m+3=0

2x2-5x+3-m(x-1)=0

2x(x-1)-3(x-1)-m(x-1)=0

(2x-3-m)(x-1)=0

x = 1 ; x = (m+3)/2

y= -15 ; y = ((m2+m)/2)-15

intersecting points therefore: pt (1, -15), pt ((m+3)/2, ((m2+m)/2)-15) ;answer correct according to text book answers.

@rock.freak667

I still don't get it :frown: , now that I have found the intersection points, how do I find the value of m such that the points of intersection found in (c) are coincident? how do I know it's just one root (cause I did get two intersection points, (1, -15) and the other in terms of m)?

My guess is since the pt (1, -15) is on both lines, thus coincident to both lines, I could equate the x values of the other intersection point found in terms of slope m ((m+3)/2, (m2+m)/2-15)

Thus equating x coordinates gives (m+3)/2 = 1 and solving for m, m = -1 (equating y coordinates gives m = 0)

m = -1 is the correct answer in book, but I still don't understand this part completely. some further explanation would be great :smile:

6. Jan 11, 2010 #5

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

The tangent to the curve touches the curve at one point.
    You have already found f'(x) = m = (4x - 5). Put x = 1. You get m = -1.

7. Jan 11, 2010 #6

cir

got it, thnks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook