Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intersection with empty index set

1. Mar 15, 2008 #1
    If I is empty, and the collection of sets {A_i} is indexed by I, then the intersection of all the A_i is equal to the universal set.

Can someone explain why? Or better yet, give a proof?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2008 #2
    Here's my attempt at a proof:

Suppose I is empty. Let S be the universal set. Let x be in S. Then it is vacuously true that for all i in I (it is false that i is in I!), x belongs to A_i. Thus x belongs to the intersection of all the A_i. Hence the intersection of all the A_i equals S.

Correct?

And here's my proof attempt that U (A_i) = empty, if I is empty:

Suppose there exists x in U (A_i). Then there exists i in I such that x belongs A_i. But I is empty, so no such i exists. This contradiction means that no such x exists. Thus U (A_i) = empty. Correct? I can't find a proof anywhere.

4. Mar 15, 2008 #3
    a for all statement is not an implication statement. i think it doesn't work that way. what book is this from?

5. Mar 15, 2008 #4
    Ok, let's start with U (A_i) = empty, where I is empty (I gave a proof above).

By DeMorgan's Laws,
    intersection (A_i) = S - U (S-A_i) = S - empty = S.

Is this a better proof? I still think my first proof may be correct.

6. Mar 15, 2008 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This looks right to me.

7. Mar 20, 2008 #6
    EDIT: I guess I assumed you were talking about ZFC... What theory are you talking about in particular?

OLD:

Well, if you define the intersection to be "the set of all things in all A_i", then intersection may not be well-defined (i.e., you're defining something that really can't exist). In particular, the comprehension axiom would require you to fix some A_j in the family {A_i} in order to be able to show that the set you call the intersection actually exists.

If you took as an axiom that "the set of all things in all A_i" exists, you'd immediately get a Russell paradox as the OP mentioned.

The book that I studied these topics from is Enderton's "Elements of Set Theory".

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  8. Mar 20, 2008 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The opening poster sounded like he was talking about working in a fixed universe of discourse.

Incidentally, even in ZF, you can take an empty intersection; it would simply be the (proper) class of all sets.

9. Mar 20, 2008 #8
    That's interesting. How do you define the intersection then, in ZF? The resources that I've learned from define the intersection of a set to be the set given by the comprehension axiom. Are you specifically defining the empty intersection to be the class of all sets?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?