Interview with Mathematician Fresh_42 - Comments

In summary, the mathematician discussed how economics incorporates math in order to make predictions about human behavior. They also mentioned that social sciences are going to be impacted by advances in neuroscience.
TheAdmin submitted a new PF Insights post

Interview with Mathematician Fresh_42
fresh42.png

Continue reading the Original PF Insights Post.

Likes JD_PM, Demystifier, OmCheeto and 3 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the economist comments are interesting. Certainly there is a lot of math in economics, but it's interesting they have s more fluid ranges of acceptable solutions.

Likes OmCheeto and Charles Link
Greg Bernhardt said:
I think the economist comments are interesting. Certainly there is a lot of math in economics, but it's interesting they have s more fluid ranges of acceptable solutions.
hmmmm... Perhaps "Economics" should be a sub-category of "Quantum Physics"?

Likes AlexCaledin and Comeback City
OmCheeto said:
... Perhaps "Economics" should be a sub-category of "Quantum Physics"?

- indeed, why not? Feynman suggested that Physics / Nature might well be something like the Great Game played by some hidden Players - and the most interesting games have some "economical" aspect - suppose that those Players have to pay somehow for making improbable quantum choices - and that's how the Born Rule actually emerges . . .

One economist at my institution claims economics is a social science.

Cheers

Interview with Mathematician Fresh_42. Nice. Enjoyed reading it.

Last edited by a moderator:
cosmik debris said:
One economist at my institution claims economics is a social science.

Cheers
I think it is in many aspects, but I also think that the social sciences are going to be endured by mathematics at some point, you can do, and it is actually done, some hard predictions in social sciences. You can actually model some social phenomena and behavior using physical models, I have seen some papers on this kind of topics, applying some statistical mechanics equation that describes some nucleation process to the formation of the centers of cities, or some kinetic gas equation to describe evacuation in emergency situations for some building and staff like that. It is pretty gross for what "social" means, but as science advances, I think we are going to see more and more of this. At this point people can see the activation of neurons one by one, all this techniques will have an impact in psychology and sociology, all the advances in neurosciences will have an impact in the future on how all those disciplines like social sciences and psychology are driven.

Ummm...

"Economics is regarded as a social science because it uses scientific methods to build theories that can help explain the behaviour of individuals, groups and organisations."

ref: http://www.economicsonline.co.uk/Competitive_markets/What_is_economics.html

ps. I didn't believe it at first either. But if you think about it for about 15 seconds, it makes sense.

-----------
Student; "What the hell is Economics, really?"
Professor Om; "Economics is the study of herding human cats."

Likes Telemachus
One small nit: The Euler formula is not showing up as it should:

##e^{ipi} + 1 = 0##

1. What is the purpose of the interview with Mathematician Fresh_42?

The purpose of the interview is to gain insight into the life and work of a mathematician, specifically Fresh_42. It aims to share their experiences, thoughts, and advice with others who are interested in mathematics or pursuing a career in the field.

2. How did Mathematician Fresh_42 become interested in mathematics?

Fresh_42 shares that they have been interested in mathematics since a young age, and their passion for the subject only grew as they pursued higher education and encountered more complex mathematical concepts. They also credit their teachers and mentors for fueling their interest and guiding them towards a career in mathematics.

3. What are some challenges that Mathematician Fresh_42 faced in their career?

Fresh_42 mentions that one of the biggest challenges in their career has been tackling difficult and abstract mathematical concepts, and finding new and innovative ways to approach problems. They also mention the competitive nature of the field and the pressure to constantly publish new research.

4. What advice does Mathematician Fresh_42 have for aspiring mathematicians?

Fresh_42 advises aspiring mathematicians to not be afraid of failure or mistakes, as they are an essential part of the learning process. They also stress the importance of persistence and hard work, as well as seeking out opportunities for collaboration and mentorship.

5. How does Mathematician Fresh_42 see the future of mathematics?

Fresh_42 believes that mathematics will continue to play a crucial role in various industries and fields, such as technology and finance. They also see potential for further advancements and discoveries in pure mathematics, and encourage others to continue pushing the boundaries of the subject.