1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Interview with Instrument Engineer Jim Hardy - Comments

1. Jan 6, 2017 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2017 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    I think your "Symphony Orchestra" comment was very unexpected and interesting. I've also had some interest in nuclear reactors ever since I got to view the inside of a live reactor on a Russian nuclear ice breaker a few years ago.

5. Jan 11, 2017 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks Guys.

I still remember vividly my parents taking my sister and me to a children's concert when we were eight-ish years old.
    The moment the orchestra started i was engulfed with a tingling sensation , the sound of the live strings seemed to enter my brain and soothed me clear down to my toes as if i were standing in a cool , gentle waterfall..
    I wonder what is the neurological affect of music. A pleasant melody picks up and carries my psyche. My sister described Mozart's Requiem as "A backrub for your soul." His Horn Concerto #4 puts me in a near trance, but i recently played it for my friends and they were indifferent. We're just not all wired the same, i guess. Maybe somebody will do one of those science shows where they show brain activity with a scanner .

An icebreaker ? How'd you get to tour one of those ?
    I took the engine room tour on Alaska Ferry (MV Columbia) , and just wandered down into engine room of the Cape May (NJ) ferryboat .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted