Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights Interview with Instrument Engineer Jim Hardy - Comments

1. Jan 6, 2017 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2017 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

4. Jan 10, 2017 #3
    I think your "Symphony Orchestra" comment was very unexpected and interesting. I've also had some interest in nuclear reactors ever since I got to view the inside of a live reactor on a Russian nuclear ice breaker a few years ago.

5. Jan 11, 2017 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Thanks Guys.

I still remember vividly my parents taking my sister and me to a children's concert when we were eight-ish years old.
    The moment the orchestra started i was engulfed with a tingling sensation , the sound of the live strings seemed to enter my brain and soothed me clear down to my toes as if i were standing in a cool , gentle waterfall..
    I wonder what is the neurological affect of music. A pleasant melody picks up and carries my psyche. My sister described Mozart's Requiem as "A backrub for your soul." His Horn Concerto #4 puts me in a near trance, but i recently played it for my friends and they were indifferent. We're just not all wired the same, i guess. Maybe somebody will do one of those science shows where they show brain activity with a scanner .

An icebreaker ? How'd you get to tour one of those ?
    I took the engine room tour on Alaska Ferry (MV Columbia) , and just wandered down into engine room of the Cape May (NJ) ferryboat .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted